Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps something else to add to the list, another method of parity writes?

Perhaps once the full original parity is synced it can be incrementally updated? as in, if you move files from cache to array it will move it directly to the array then run a partial parity sync for the changed blocks? It may be less secure for your data if the drive fails before the parity can be written, but the performance boost might be worth it if you have nothing important (Media files that can be re-downloaded) Perhaps that mixed with multiple arrays would be even better.

Just my $0.02, this may not even be possible.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jbohbot said:

It may be less secure for your data if the drive fails before the parity can be written, but the performance boost might be worth it if you have nothing important

It may be less secure if the drive being written to fails before parity gets updated, but it would be a complete disaster if any other drive happens to fail in the meantime (that may contain files that aren't irreplaceable), as you will be virtually guaranteed that the file(s) contained would get corrupted since the parity wouldn't be valid.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of multiple array pools and native backup. But TBH the absence of those functions has already pushed me to invest in working solutions involving physical diversity and a Duplicati docker (using perm UAD mounts on the backup server) so they are down on my wanted list. 

Shame to see VM enhancements are so far down the public wanted list. Specifically I’d love to push the FR asking for the ability to start a VM (which does not require array disk access) running off UAD (or a LT version of it - personally I think they could consider taking control of it basic functionality and integrate) which would allow for the running of a pfsense VM (for example) to be truly viable on unraid. 

I’d be open to some constraints if LTs issue here is how this could be exploited by community development (e.g. only certain VMs allowed which call for pre array startup - like pfsense) but I honestly think it is this development - and branches of development that will spawn from it - that will truly open up my server being the “one server”. Lol.

• Like 1

There is something i would like to see.

Out of the Box encryption, Faster Parity Checks, Compression, Better VM Support. Better support for Dockers like SABNZB sending email when something is started and done.

I know you are working on most of this.

Thanks in Advance.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Morne said:

There is something i would like to see.

Out of the Box encryption, Faster Parity Checks, Compression, Better VM Support. Better support for Dockers like SABNZB sending email when something is started and done.

I know you are working on most of this.

Thanks in Advance.

Keep up the good work.

Just out of curiosity, what advancement do you think unRAID could make that would impact the ability for SaBNZBD to send you a notification email? unRAID has the ability to input email smtp details for notifications and it works just fine. As I understand it (and I acknowledge that I have not set this up or tested it) SAB all has the ability to do this to?

I have many containers setup to send emails so if SAB doesn't do it I would have thought that is with the developer of SAB and not unRAID to fix.

Edited by danioj
1 hour ago, danioj said:

Just out of curiosity, what advancement do you think unRAID could make that would impact the ability for SaBNZBD to send you a notification email? unRAID has the ability to input email smtp details for notifications and it works just fine. As I understand it (and I acknowledge that I have not set this up or tested it) SAB all has the ability to do this to?

I have many containers setup to send emails so if SAB doesn't do it I would have thought that is with the developer of SAB and not unRAID to fix.

I do agree that is it not Unraid job to do Notification but it would be nice as Unraid work very welll.   

Doing a lot with vm's but moved to virtualbox for testing purposes on a windows machine for easy snapshots and reverting to it. KVM does not offer anything in its current form so ye - if something like that would be possible i would be thrilled :D

• Like 2

Ability to assign Alias Names to USB Devices, to allow for easier mapping or allocating of devices in VMS.

If you have 2 or 3 keyboards, 2 or 3 mice, CD rive, USB security dongles, USB card readers, it can get a little confusing when you are trying to assign devices to VMS especially if some of them are made by the same manufacture.  With the ability to assign aliases, this process would be a lot easier.  If this already exists, I am not aware of it.

I'd like Mover to have a progress bar and a stop/start flipping button - stop probably executing "mover stop". For progress, there is counting the % of files copied over and then a second phase of clearing out everything else.

• Like 1

Something occurred to me today I don't know if it was mentioned on the forums or not,  regarding unraid DNS.

I was working on pfSense & adjusting issues with DNS on unraid as I have 2 separate networks connecting into unraid & the DNS keeps giving me problems from time to time depending on the changes I make in either pfSense BOX.

I was thinking if there was ever gonna be an implementation of DNS of HTTPS (DOH) in the future or anything related to selecting DNS to any interface or Vlan.

• SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist