Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3041 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

This is my wish-list:

1. VM Snapshot and VM cloning via ui
  2. ability to change mac address (persistent) for ethernet controllers
  3. automated support for multifunction pci device like GPUs with Audio addon without having to go XML for correct slot assignment

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Attenbach said:

What about being able to connect your NAS via Thunderbolt 3 if the motherboard supports it. Many do nowadays. Or even act as mass storage via USB 3.1 Gen 2 Connector?

I don't think that's possible without some very special hardware and the software to match. Unraid runs as a normal linux system, which is a device host. To make it function as a device client isn't trivial.

Would be nice though for some configurations. Probably not going to happen though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BiiRO said:

Iscsi support.. the vaporware option :) we ask but know it will never be implemented

Never say never.  

After multi-pool/cache, this is my personal most wanted feature

On 11/21/2019 at 12:42 AM, limetech said:

We have multiple-pool support coming in 6.9 release.  After that we can look at adding a UI to create vdisks that map to iscsi targets.

Edited by tjb_altf4

I would like the ability for the usb flash to mirror its config on a daily basis as an automatic backup to one of the shares and then if you plug in a fresh unraid usb stick because it died to have the option if it detects disks with a config on it to restore that backup and reboot setting itself back up and restored semi automatically so that flash failures no longer are the big deal that I see on the forums from time to time. 

• Like 1

Here's a wild one...

To go along with the multiple pools idea, make it so that I can add/drop a pool in/out of the system and import/export its configuration,  WITHOUT it damaging the state of the parity drive associated with it.

Why would I want this?  Cold storage backup of the main array/pool.  I can duplicate the contents of the main array to the backup one, then pull the disks and put them in storage.  Not only will I have a data file backup, but a parity drive to go with it to help protect/guard against bit-rot or other possible problems when drives have been off for a while (stiction *might* still be a thing.)

Edited by sota
On 11/24/2019 at 1:32 PM, langelus said:

Snapshots of VM's would be greatly appreciated, always nervous making major updates to systems and not being able to roll back easily if anything screws up. 

I would add the option to clone VMs easily as I am using VMs as a test environment. I have a master VM that servers as a template. Clones are created for one test only and desposed afterwards.

Currently I am using the BTRFS functionality to clone the discs and then set up a "new" VM using the cloned discs instead of newly created ones.

Would be very nice to have this as some kind of dialog to autmatically clone a VM (see VirtualBoxes approch of a linked clone - works like a charm for me).

Cheers
Max

5 minutes ago, craptec said:

I would add the option to clone VMs easily as I am using VMs as a test environment. I have a master VM that servers as a template. Clones are created for one test only and desposed afterwards.

Currently I am using the BTRFS functionality to clone the discs and then set up a "new" VM using the cloned discs instead of newly created ones.

Would be very nice to have this as some kind of dialog to autmatically clone a VM (see VirtualBoxes approch of a linked clone - works like a charm for me).

Cheers
Max

This is very easily accomplished using 'cp --reflink' command.

1 hour ago, limetech said:

What do you mean by this?  example?

If you change the VNC port in the XML to be a specific port instead of auto (which is the behaviour that you want, you want to connect to the same VM on the same port) and then sebsequently change any setting of the VM using the gui the port reverts back to the auto port, losing your nicely configured static port setting.

We need to be able to show and set the port in the gui so that it can easily be configured to a static port and more importantly that the mapping isn’t lost when you make a GUI change.

im forever having to go back and edit the XML to restore the vnc port.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fizzyade said:

If you change the VNC port in the XML to be a specific port instead of auto (which is the behaviour that you want, you want to connect to the same VM on the same port) and then sebsequently change any setting of the VM using the gui the port reverts back to the auto port, losing your nicely configured static port setting.

We need to be able to show and set the port in the gui so that it can easily be configured to a static port and more importantly that the mapping isn’t lost when you make a GUI change.

im forever having to go back and edit the XML to restore the vnc port.

Welcome to anyone who's ever done an XML modification group lol

9 minutes ago, XiuzSu said:

Welcome to anyone who's ever done an XML modification group lol

Yes, in the beginning the intention was to have GUI elements available for all the commonly changed items, and editing the raw xml was to be done only in edge cases.

There turned out to be a LOT of edge cases.

Maybe officially baking in virt-manager would be a good answer.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

This is corrected in Unraid 6.9.0-beta23

• Like 2

Seeing as there are updates happening to the USB Flash Creator I thought I'd throw some suggestions out there that I think would be particularly helpful to users that are green to Unraid.

• exFAT support:
    • it's released to open source now, soon to part of the kernel
    • purported to be optimizations for flash
    • improved file integrity? checksumming of metadata
    • larger flash drives supported
    • like FAT/FAT32, it is well supported - crossplatform

• Preloaded configuration (streamlined plugins):
    • default configurations
      • Light (no configured plugins)
      • Standard (essential/suggested plugin - CA etc)
      • Full Fat (such as enabled baked in GPU drivers)
    • additionally, selectable packages in particular essential plugins like CA, wireguard, FCE, UD etc

• (Restore) new flash from Unraid backup
    • Easy restore from flash drive corruption with messing around with extracting zipped folders etc
    • Easier roll backs where not possible through Unraid itself
    • Could include option to request usb key migration (to current, new key)
Edited by tjb_altf4
  • Like 1
  • SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist