Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3041 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How about easy zero-conf (mDNS) networking?

What I mean is: unRAID already announces itself in the network using mDNS as "Tower" (http://tower.local)

How about adding just barely enough reverse proxy functionality to unRAID so I can from the docker and maybe even VM tab assign subdomains to my services?

Not as a replacement for IP:Port, but to compliment it... e.g.:

plex.tower.local

ubuntu-vm.tower.local

nextcloud.tower.local

etc...

Yes, that would be local access only, https with self-signed certs, why not, not really necessary to me, but I don't want to say no.

The reason of my frustration? Well... If you really want to know, any other path is really, really annoying:

Click

Cheers!

On 7/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, johnnie.black said:

Yes, though you'd still want devices with deterministic read zeros after trim support, since when support does get implemented it will likely only work with those devices.

Sorry I am a noob ?  What does this mean ELI5, please. :)

I run NVM drives on a 4Drives x 4Lanes PCIe Adapter via the UD Plugin. What must I worry about ?

TIA

1 hour ago, unrateable said:

Sorry I am a noob ?  What does this mean ELI5, please. :)

I run NVM drives on a 4Drives x 4Lanes PCIe Adapter via the UD Plugin. What must I worry about ?

TIA

Nothing for how you're using those devices.  The feature request has to do with using SSD in a parity-raid style array.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:02 AM, johnnie.black said:

Yes, though you'd still want devices with deterministic read zeros after trim support, since when support does get implemented it will likely only work with those devices.

Just to be clear, I was referring to when trim support is added to SSDs on the array, any device without deterministic trim support would still work, just probably wouldn't be trimmed.

I don't know if this has been discussed earlier but, a feature I have been waiting for a while is. The ability to easely schedule a docker update for a later time when there is less chance of disrupting someone bingewatching on Plex or Emby. Or any other container that sees a lot use during the day.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, limetech said:

This is very easily accomplished using 'cp --reflink' command.

Absolutely. That is the way we are doing it currently. However it would be a lot more convenient to have a solution doing this automatically as we have users that are not very familiar with ssh and  manually setting paths to vdisks and thus creating broken VMs.

6 hours ago, orlando500 said:

After my last "panic mode" with the usb drive failing. I wish unraid had a better solution for booting the OS. Like a dedicated SSD or something. So i also could have raid 1 on that. Would have saved a lot of my hair...:-)

This is a tricky one because it requires changing license key model to something that periodically "phones home".  In the past there has been near mutiny by our users to even suggest such a thing, but the times - they are a changin'

3 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

There is a work around by plugging the server into a wifi extender but thats defeats the point and my new mobo will have wifi 6. I don't use VMs.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

In my experience mobo wifi is not all that great because servers tend to be tucked away in closets or basements. 🤷‍♂️

23 hours ago, limetech said:

This is a tricky one because it requires changing license key model to something that periodically "phones home".  In the past there has been near mutiny by our users to even suggest such a thing, but the times - they are a changin'

i see why some have problems with phone home functions. I have it to.

But im sure you could use the cpu or MB identifer or something like that is unique. Or even had the option to boot from a SSD drive but the licence could be still on a usb key. IF key are missing you got a grace period for 30 day (like a trial) to get a key or replace a key.

That would give more stability to the servers even if the usb has bad sectors.

btw, thanks for replying.. :-)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, orlando500 said:

But im sure you could use the cpu or MB identifer or something like that is unique

One of the most beneficial things about Unraid, is the ability to move the USB key to another (new) system with complete different hardware, and start it like nothing has ever changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, bonienl said:

One of the most beneficial things about Unraid, is the ability to move the USB key to another (new) system with complete different hardware, and start it like nothing has ever changed.

yeah i know... but after the misshap with my usb key i find thats a weak point in its self. so i would rather have to go to a web site and generate a new key for my new server when i need to. Rather than having a usb key fail, that gives me no boot of the server.

Anyhow thats my input... :-)

3 minutes ago, orlando500 said:

yeah i know... but after the misshap with my usb key i find thats a weak point in its self. so i would rather have to go to a web site and generate a new key for my new server when i need to. Rather than having a usb key fail, that gives me no boot of the server.

Anyhow thats my input... 🙂

We have a solution for this in the works ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist