Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This may be already implemented and i haven't found it but it would be nice to be able to assign VLAN access on a share with Write permissions. ie: Make a media share accessible on VLAN 10 so clients on that VLAN can get Read only access it or a shared storage folder that has RW access but nothing else on the server

I'd love some kind of swarm management.  I haven't experimented with any other systems but I can picture a world where Unraid deploys docker containers to nodes based on what their CPU utilization is and intelligently manages/balances them.  I'd love to mothball my big server, fire up Unraid on a low-power device with a big stack of drives and have it spool up and down nodes as docker containers require them.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who uses VLANS in my setup I’d love the ability to choose which interface the management access features of unRAID (e.g. GUI / SSH etc is bound to). Select either / All etc. 

I’d like to have unRAID deployed to my management VLAN along with my other network gear and my main VLAN where all my file access occurs.

I can do this of course but I’d like to be able to prevent clients on the main VLAN from accessing the GUI and SSH etc (not possible of course via FW rules as the traffic on that VLAN doesn’t go back to the router to trigger a block rule) and just have file sharing enabled. 

Right now I can deploy unRAID to X VLANS and on each IP (required to be assigned for file sharing) the GUI / SSH is accessible. 

Yes... soon TM.

I have seen that many times but not roadmaps or posts about it which leads me to believe it’s not priority.

Believe me me when I say I don’t mean to come off the wrong way.

I’m just perplexed it’s taken so long to start implementing an API for unraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, HH0718 said:

I’m just perplexed it’s taken so long to start implementing an API for unraid.

Because LT has a small team and other features are way higher on the priority list.

You will have to out-scream the [Include graphics card driver] crowd, the [Include Wifi] crowd and the [ZFS] crowd.

• Haha 3
Because LT has a small team and other features are way higher on the priority list.
You will have to out-scream the [include graphics card driver] crowd, the [include Wifi] crowd and the [ZFS] crowd.

I can appreciate you comment. And I understand the demand for other features.

But I maintain that API should have been (always) at the top of the priority list.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, Unraid Newbie said:

My Top 3.

1) AMD Nested Virtualization 

2) Wifi Support 

Wifi is so fast now.. much faster than gb lan

3) VM Snapshot

Wifi would be good, but not faster than gb by a mile. Remember Wifi is a shared medium more collisions, wire connections with switches have 1 collision domain.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, gacpac said:

Wifi would be good, but not faster than gb by a mile. Remember Wifi is a shared medium more collisions, wire connections with switches have 1 collision domain.

i thought wifi is 2 times faster

quote from a mid range wifi6 router web site:

Ultra-fast Wi-Fi Speed – RT-AX3000 supports 160MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM for dramatically faster wireless connections. With a total networking speed of about 3000Mbps — 574 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 2402 Mbps on the 5GHz band.

10gb for the whole netowork is just too damn expensive right now.

Totally agree. wireless is not the perfect solution for a server. 

but imho, wifi should generate tons of sales for unraid, 

More Sales=More Profit=Happy Developers=Better Unraid

imagine having an old rig sitting in the corner as media server or a fanless laptop sitting under the sofa as a docker station, performace wise, still beats top of the line consumer NAS (J series intel)

and i am pretty sure a lot of everyday user are using wifi not a wired connection even at home 

because it is not as easy as people might think having a wired pc at home with angry wife, active kids, etc.

take me for example, my full size tower is currently sitting on the windowsill and my 34inch curved monitor is on a Ikea Manmut (plastic kids table) 

and my pc case is huge...

with wifi i can move my unraid server somewhere more humane 

PS. My Number 1 request is still AMD Nested Virtualization, not be able to run vm workstation in windows, or android emulator like nox and bluestack really sucks.

Just get a router in "repeater" mode.  Plug your ethernet from your UNRAID server into the router.  Now your server is wireless.

... and yes, it's slow as snot.

As a wireless professional, this murdered my soul a bit.

Don’t use WiFi repeaters. Just don’t. Lol

1 minute ago, HH0718 said:

Agreed, but sometimes they are necessary.  Especially when in  areas that you simply can't run Ethernet. 

Just know what you are getting.

Just now, HH0718 said:

Then you should know, not all repeaters are created equal. If the backhaul has a dedicated isolated channel, repeaters can be just as fast as wireless in general.

Which still isn't fast or reliable enough for a server, but still usable.

• Like 1
Then you should know, not all repeaters are created equal. If the backhaul has a dedicated isolated channel, repeaters can be just as fast as wireless in general.

Which still isn't fast or reliable enough for a server, but still usable.

I’d rather have people use power line adapters.

But people understand WiFi better than power line adapters by name so...

How to improve you’re WiFi repeater signal:

Step 1: throw repeater in trash.
Step 2: never buy a repeater/extender ever again.
Step 3: ?
Step 4: profit.
2 minutes ago, HH0718 said:

But people understand WiFi better than power line adapters by name so...

That's another good option.  I've personally never tried power line adapters. 

1 minute ago, HH0718 said:

Which don't really work across line transformers. A good mesh network with commercial grade repeaters can cover multiple isolated line circuits with acceptable speed. Cheaper than burying fiber.

All I'm saying is, don't tar all repeaters with the same brush, they have their places.

Which don't really work across line transformers. A good mesh network with commercial grade repeaters can cover multiple isolated line circuits with acceptable speed. Cheaper than burying fiber.

All I'm saying is, don't tar all repeaters with the same brush, they have their places.

I mean, if you have the money.. may as well just drop a network line for less than the cost of the mesh and commercial grade repeaters.

And even with the setup you mentioned, not a good solution. Not with the available tech today.

• SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist