Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3041 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can not find anything about it.

I would like a choice when updating dockers. "Update now" and "Update given time" 

This is to minimize the chances of disturbing users.

So if i could set an update to run on my Plex media server or Nextcloud or Open VPN at 05:00 I have the least chance of any user being affected.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, sverker670 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can not find anything about it.

I would like a choice when updating dockers. "Update now" and "Update given time" 

This is to minimize the chances of disturbing users.

So if i could set an update to run on my Plex media server or Nextcloud or Open VPN at 05:00 I have the least chance of any user being affected.

• Thanks 1
On 12/2/2020 at 12:09 AM, Hoopster said:

You can basically already do this with the Unassigned Devices plugin and the included backup script. 

You plug in a USB external drive and it starts backing up the shares or disks you have specified.  You have to customize the script to your backup needs but that is easy to do.

I have four shares designated to be backed up to a 14TB external drive.  The first time it copies everything in the shares.  Subsequent backups copy just new or modified files.

I need to be able to handle backing up to smaller disks than my current array usage.  The lack of the 'archive' flag (ala Windows) is what makes this difficult, IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know its a completely different thing, but.....

I would really love to see a cut down version of unraid for arm without support for vms.

With that we could build power efficient backup servers and maybe even offload some containers from the main server.

*Thinking about the rpi cm4*

• Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, giganode said:

I know its a completely different thing, but.....

I would really love to see a cut down version of unraid for arm without support for vms.

With that we could build power efficient backup servers and maybe even offload some containers from the main server.

*Thinking about the rpi cm4*

Why not just not use the product without VMS?  If you don't start a VM, it doesn't use any resources.

Here is a really GOOD one,

How about:

Ability to free up one GPU when used in start up?

For people like me using dedicated GPU to just start up the server is a total waste. that PCI-E slot could be put into much better usage.

For setup using threadrippers that doesnt include a buildin GPU to begin with, this could be really a game changer. especially for high end users.

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X399 AORUS XTREME-CF Version x.x - s/n: Default string

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F4. Dated: 10/04/2018

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core @ 3400 MHz

Cache: 1536 KiB, 8192 KiB, 32768 KiB

Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 512 GiB)

GPU: GTX 1080 X 2, VEGA 64 X 1

STORAGE : 8TB X 16

Edited by cloudz
added config info
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, cloudz said:

Here is a really GOOD one,

How about:

Ability to free up one GPU when used in start up?

For people like me using dedicated GPU to just start up the server is a total waste. that PCI-E slot could be put into much better usage.

For setup using threadrippers that doesnt include a buildin GPU to begin with, this could be really a game changer. especially for high end users.

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X399 AORUS XTREME-CF Version x.x - s/n: Default string

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F4. Dated: 10/04/2018

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core @ 3400 MHz

Cache: 1536 KiB, 8192 KiB, 32768 KiB

Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 512 GiB)

GPU: GTX 1080 X 2, VEGA 64 X 1

STORAGE : 8TB X 16

Unraid does not REQUIRE a GPU to run, typically such a requirement to is imposed by the motherboard.  If the motherboard does not require a GPU present to be present to boot successfully then UnRAID can quite happily run headless.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:23 AM, itimpi said:

Unraid does not REQUIRE a GPU to run, typically such a requirement to is imposed by the motherboard.  If the motherboard does not require a GPU present to be present to boot successfully then UnRAID can quite happily run headless.

Thank you so much for the clarification! No wonder I can always see the 3rd GPU available there, now I feel much better to use it without fear.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, I don't want to assume I'm the first...

But I'd really love to see better support for managing VM-passthrough devices natively in Unraid, like GPU passthrough and PCIe device management.

I don't mean some bespoke configuration/profiles for particular hardware, what I mean is that I would appreciate if the VM config UI could be updated to set PCIe attributes like multifunction, slot, bus, etc... for GPUs, PCIe devices, or USB controllers (Which are just PCIe devices of course). We can set a BIOS file for a GPU, but most of the issues I see on this forum with GPU/USB passthrough is related to editing the XML for setting attributes. It would just be awesome if this was more transparent to the Unraid UI, maybe even with some logical opinionated defaults.

I love Unraid and I use it literally every day as my base OS for nearly everything I do, even as my daily workstation. Device passthrough is something that I find makes it hard to recommend to other people because of the configuration required. I'm ok with getting into it, but most people are not, and would like a UI element for most things.

Unraid is great, I think this would make it that much more great.

On 7/1/2020 at 10:13 PM, bonienl said:

This is corrected in Unraid 6.9.0-beta23

I just upgraded to the latest rc and this is still broken for me.  Modify the port in the XML and then go make a change in the GUI and the port reverts back to auto and -1.

This drives me up the wall, especially with a fair few VM's and trying to remember what the port setting actually was.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:31 AM, cloudz said:

Thank you so much for the clarification! No wonder I can always see the 3rd GPU available there, now I feel much better to use it without fear.

You can also put the following in as a user script that runs on first array start:

#!/bin/bash
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind 

This will allow you to see unRAID booting via your GPU and then unhook it for use as passthrough into VMs.

11 hours ago, Ross Cannizzaro said:

You can also put the following in as a user script that runs on first array start:

#!/bin/bash
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind 

This will allow you to see unRAID booting via your GPU and then unhook it for use as passthrough into VMs.

I'm interested to find out more about this, I've tried researching, and I've tried starting a thread to find out more, but is there a way to "reclaim" the passthrough GP back to the unraid UI?

Is this script part of the method of doing so?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, muwahhid said:

If you add ZFS, it would be the perfect system for me.

I guess I'm still not seeing the value proposition here.  Why use UnRAID for ZFS?  There are other platforms that implement ZFS quite well.  UnRAID was supposed to be what RAID is not.  

Just my 2 cents.  I do realize this is a popular request.

• SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist