Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

To clarify my answers, I took "Multiple Array Pools" as literally multiple array pools.  You might want to add in multiple cache pools as another option.  For my usage, I'd like multiple arrays, not multiple cache pools.

Maybe like 8 or 10 arrays for each of your squid arms?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, cpl said:

what does snapshots mean? building parity at set intervals like snapraid?

Typically means version control, a copy of the file is stored in the metadata and can be restored at will. It's a feature of BTRFS and most major OSes like Windows can support them (i.e. right click, choose previous versions, etc.)

They're great for preventing ransomware because you can take snapshots frequently without incurring a lot of space with BTRFS and can roll back chances en masse very easily.

Personally I like to see multiple arrays as well, because I'm going to be hitting the 30 drive limit soon. Going beyond 30 drives with only 2 parity drives isn't really safe, so might as well have multiple arrays/volumes.

In the future, volumes could be amalgamated with something like glusterfs similar to what Synology does with Petaspace.

Edited by coolspot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Snapshots (For VMs and shares) would be huge. Right now it absolutely stops me from being able to recommend this to even a small business.

iSCSI would be huge for me in a home scenario. Right now I run a VM on top of unRAID just to do iSCSI, which is an unnecessary pain.

A secondary array that uses ZFS is again something I have to use a VM for at the moment, which I would love to see baked into unRAID natively. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

The fine people over at the "unRAID Users & Help Group" on facebook are running a poll. Vote here, vote there and let us know:

What new features would you like to see the most in 2020? Please comment below to add your feedback. 

Note: You must request to join their group. ;-)

I'm a tad confused, why do we need to join their poll if we can vote here?

Though I'd like to point out, if this is being considered a serious poll being taken on board by the unraid team, I'd much rather see it handled completely on your site, here on the polls. I've left facebook long ago. Not an issue for most, I agree, but for myself I don't wish to use a social service that has such massive disregard for it's members.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Ryonez said:

I'm a tad confused, why do we need to join their poll if we can vote here?

Though I'd like to point out, if this is being considered a serious poll being taken on board by the unraid team, I'd much rather see it handled completely on your site, here on the polls. I've left facebook long ago. Not an issue for most, I agree, but for myself I don't wish to use a social service that has such massive disregard for it's members.

No need to vote there if you don’t want to. They came up with the selections and poll originally so I was just posting here too for max participation. 

thanks for voting 👍

6 hours ago, vagrantprodigy said:

Snapshots (For VMs and shares) would be huge. Right now it absolutely stops me from being able to recommend this to even a small business.

iSCSI would be huge for me in a home scenario. Right now I run a VM on top of unRAID just to do iSCSI, which is an unnecessary pain.

A secondary array that uses ZFS is again something I have to use a VM for at the moment, which I would love to see baked into unRAID natively. 

Exactly my use case. Right now no native ISCSi is a dealbreaker for me for an ESXi cluster for shared storage on an ISSCi network. Don't want to use FreeNAS. Would be nice to get ZFS and ISCSi bundled as in my mind these two go together well in a future release. 

• Like 1

Snapshots as argument for preventing ransomware is a bit out of date. Almost all actual ransomware I read about deletes all versioning the user has access to provided by snapshots on the share level. Nontheless snapshots for VMs are really helpful and quick and I use it for almost a year with a script already.

Reading through all the features in the vote, I WANT THEM ALL 😁

I'd love to see partial-parity scheduling.

eg, do 25% each week, meaning a full scan is done every 4 weeks. Currently, doing a full scan takes nearly 25hours, so don't tend to run them unless I have had a dirty restart or something. Being able to phase it would allow users to keep parity in check

• Like 3
  • SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist