Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3041 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:53 AM, BRiT said:

Why? Is your server portable? Are you moving it around your house?

wire up the whole network might be a easy job in most people here, a easy diy job, just punch a hole in the drywall, and you are half way done. 

but my apartment/flat is all concrete, it's a huge renovation job and impossible to do while living in it. 

i dont have a desk yet, all the space are taken up by the kids. except for my bedroom.

things are just different on the other side of the world. : (

Edited by Unraid Newbie
spelling
19 minutes ago, Unraid Newbie said:

sure, that works, but just saying ... having wifi enable will take unraid popularity to another level.

And the support issues will be exponentially expanded through the roof as every card seems to require its own driver and has its own set of quirks.

• Like 2
And the support issues will be exponentially expanded through the roof as every card seems to require its own driver and has its own set of quirks.
I don't see that happening soon either. The only way is for limetech to own the hardware and have more control like synology and WD does. But then that's why unraid is awesome, you can run it anywhere and do whatever you want.

Would be nice they come up with some off the shelve setup for users who needs just that. But that ain't my case

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 8/27/2020 at 7:08 AM, Unraid Newbie said:

i thought wifi is 2 times faster

quote from a mid range wifi6 router web site:

Ultra-fast Wi-Fi Speed – RT-AX3000 supports 160MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM for dramatically faster wireless connections. With a total networking speed of about 3000Mbps — 574 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 2402 Mbps on the 5GHz band.

10gb for the whole netowork is just too damn expensive right now.

You will never see 3000 Mbps on wifi 6 (ax) devices today. That's just marketing wank (they add all the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands together, devices don't work that way). Fastest wifi6 speeds I've seen real-world was ~700Mbps, and that was achieved 5 ft away from the AP. Assuming your server doesn't sit next to your AP, there are other APs in your area (interference) and you have multiple other wifi devices on your network, you're gonna see a drop in that 700 number real fast. Wireless connections are also unreliable, dropped packets are pretty common, meaning data has to be resent, slowing your overall speeds.

I get the want to have Unraid and wifi, I just wouldn't expect it to consistently and reliably approach gigabit ethernet speeds. By the time it does, 10 gig ethernet will be cheap like 1 gig is today.

2 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

Not sure what you mean by this?  USB3 works fine as long as the the motherboard BIOS handles it properly.   It is just that USB2 is recommended for the boot device as it has proved both more reliable, the devices tend to last longer (thought to be because they run cooler) and Unraid gets no speed advantage from a USB3 boot device as it runs from RAM after the initial boot.

You will never see 3000 Mbps on wifi 6 (ax) devices today. That's just marketing wank (they add all the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands together, devices don't work that way). Fastest wifi6 speeds I've seen real-world was ~700Mbps, and that was achieved 5 ft away from the AP. Assuming your server doesn't sit next to your AP, there are other APs in your area (interference) and you have multiple other wifi devices on your network, you're gonna see a drop in that 700 number real fast. Wireless connections are also unreliable, dropped packets are pretty common, meaning data has to be resent, slowing your overall speeds.

I get the want to have Unraid and wifi, I just wouldn't expect it to consistently and reliably approach gigabit ethernet speeds. By the time it does, 10 gig ethernet will be cheap like 1 gig is today.
It's like wifi 5. I was going crazy of why I was copying so slow and all that. AC you connect at 400mbps with a compatible card and next to the router, plus having a ac1900. But in real world copying data that's around 30~40MB/s

Gigabit is 110~120MB/s

The benefit of wifi is that you can have multiple devices connected at good speed (faster than 100 mbps)

My boss goes crazy sometimes and I have to keep explaining the same shit all the time. They expect to have 200mb up and down from an iPhone, inside a Mall.

Sorry for the little rant at the end lol

Note: mbps (megabits), Mbps (Megabytes)
1 Byte = 8 megabit

• Like 1

I’d love the ability to assign multiple networks to a single Docker container. 

The simplest use case involves pihole. Currently I run seperate instances of a pihole container for each of my VLANS. It would be great if I could just attach one container to each network and configure pihole to listen on all assigned interfaces. 

I’m pretty sure you can do it via the cli using ‘docker network connect <network> <container>‘ or something but it would be excellent to be able to do it in the GUI.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:20 AM, gacpac said:

It's like wifi 5. I was going crazy of why I was copying so slow and all that. AC you connect at 400mbps with a compatible card and next to the router, plus having a ac1900. But in real world copying data that's around 30~40MB/s

Gigabit is 110~120MB/s

The benefit of wifi is that you can have multiple devices connected at good speed (faster than 100 mbps)

My boss goes crazy sometimes and I have to keep explaining the same shit all the time. They expect to have 200mb up and down from an iPhone, inside a Mall.

Sorry for the little rant at the end lol

Note: mbps (megabits), Mbps (Megabytes)
1 Byte = 8 megabit

yah... in real world ... wifi 6 is faster than 1gb ethernet.   not 2x as advertise maybe 1.2x to 1.5x faster. but undoubtedly, it is faster. 

9 hours ago, jonathanm said:

On the docker tab advanced view you can force update any single container.

Good to know, don't think I've ever looked at the advanced view.

However, the one shortcoming is that this would only apply if you actively knew there was an update.  I guess you could go around in circles about the usefulness of the feature to force checking for updates rather than forcing an update.   You either have reason to believe there is an update (so force update would suffice) or are randomly checking for single updates at a greater interval than, let's say, the CA Auto Update plugin.

Small example that just so happens to have popped up right now...........   Right now my FreshRSS docker is "up to date", and won't be checked until my scheduled update check time (CA Auto Update).. but my FreshRSS feed tells me that there has been a new version released as of this afternoon.  So at this point I know there has been an update.  I can 'force update' to "see" if the docker has been updated (a linuxserver docker, so maybe it hasn't pulled the update yet, who knows), or I can 'check for updates' to "know" if an update is available or not.  If I don't know there's an update then no harm no foul, I don't know that I should even be checking for updates.

I guess in the end the same thing is accomplished in either case, it's either updated or it's not.   But it's 2020, every app in the world has a "check for updates" option so Unraid should have it too, for individual dockers!  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 5:14 AM, danioj said:

I’d love the ability to assign multiple networks to a single Docker container. 

The simplest use case involves pihole. Currently I run seperate instances of a pihole container for each of my VLANS. It would be great if I could just attach one container to each network and configure pihole to listen on all assigned interfaces. 

I’m pretty sure you can do it via the cli using ‘docker network connect <network> <container>‘ or something but it would be excellent to be able to do it in the GUI.

If you're using a Unifi system, you can just enable MDNS and have Pi-Hole work across all VLANs

• SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist