Unraid Feature Request Wishlist

SpencerJ

Unraid Feature Wish List  

3042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, RealActorRob said:

Writing incoming data to all drives at once for throughput then it collects the pieces and reassembles them on to the high water drive as it does now when the array is more idle. 

This is pretty much the function of cache. SSD as cache will give as much throughput as your NIC can support.

a request that would make sense is getting a built in backup solution. I've been trying different ones and the best so far is duplicacy that you have to pay, then you have rclone that works but from command line only. Would be nice to go to settings, set what you want to backup and where s3,onedrive,b2, etc. 

I wish for the DockerUI to become possible to manage dockers outside the unRaid environment (much like Portainer, but more rudimentary).

I have some other devices in my network, which also run dockers.

I found a solution with Portainer. Running as Docker in unRaid I can manage any docker anywhere.

Although it works perfect, it seems to me a bit over the top, since Portainer offers so much more functionality than necessary in my use case.

And with unRaid having this super easy and comfortable UI for docker management, you come to the point where you think:

can't there be just one UI to rule them all?

I believe unRaid has the potential to become THE server OS on the market. This feature would definitely be a step into this direction.

Hi All... well i'm kind of new in UNRAID about 2 years but i would like ZFS and ISCSI would be 2 big improvement i guess and Snapshots and easyer capabilities for acces to the share in the array from a VM to use.. don't know if i sound clear on this one lol...

So there is it...

1. ISCSI

2. ZFS

3. Snapshots

For these i know from FreeNAS now TrueNAS and Snapshots because UNRAID people are not adding a third Parity drive :( but who am i to ask 2 Parity four 22+ Disk, it's not a very good ration. But Multiple Array Pool would help alote to.

Proper docker-compose support in the GUI, possibly even with service grouping!

I deploy my services with docker wherever possible and setting up software that consist of multiple services, such as frontend, backend and database, and already provides an official docker-compose.yaml is a nightmare and super annoying. I do not understand, why unraid doesn't support this industry standard already.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, serverlol said:

Proper docker-compose support in the GUI, possibly even with service grouping!

I deploy my services with docker wherever possible and setting up software that consist of multiple services, such as frontend, backend and database, and already provides an official docker-compose.yaml is a nightmare and super annoying. I do not understand, why unraid doesn't support this industry standard already.

That's because when the Docker Plugin was developed (2014) there was no Docker Compose available. In the very beginning I opted for a XML format due to better support from PHP than YAML. Update it now will lead to many problems and a massive rewrite on the code and how things works nowadays. Maybe a dependency check could suffice, but even this won't be trivial to implement.

• Thanks 2
On 11/6/2020 at 12:28 PM, gfjardim said:

That's because when the Docker Plugin was developed (2014) there was no Docker Compose available. In the very beginning I opted for a XML format due to better support from PHP than YAML. Update it now will lead to many problems and a massive rewrite on the code and how things works nowadays. Maybe a dependency check could suffice, but even this won't be trivial to implement.

Running Docker is a core element of my unraid use-case and my opinion it's time to rewrite this part, besides it beeing non trivial.

Updating code might always lead to problems, but not touching the code, that is partially 6 years old, will increase the technical dept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SignorRossi said:

Hi there!

Is there any feedback from limetech on "Multiple Array Pools"? Do they intend to implement this feature?

I think they have said it is a potential roadmap item, but no sign of it in the current 6.9.0 beta releases.   The 6.9.0 release DOES support multiple cache pools.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2020 at 6:28 AM, gfjardim said:

breaking legacy stuff can be a total nut buster. 

this is why certain things in Windows still date back to the MS-DOS days. :D

another example is VyOS (formerly Vyatta), where I'm still stuck on 1.0.4 hydrogen) as anything newer requires me to completely re-do the config by hand; they changed the format of the config file and there's no converter!  Oh and I have no idea if I can cobble nginx into the new version(s) like I have in hydrogen.  one of these days I'll sit down and do it though  I suspect, but it'll be a painful switch.

VM Enhancements

Think in BIG (IRON) if possible... we need, and appreciate to upgrade own QEMU/KVM engine to latest version, include new "qemu-system-s390x" that can delivery -machine s390-ccw-virtio -cpu max,zpci=on,msa5-base=off 

Actually with:

qemu-system-s390x -machine s390-ccw-virtio -cpu max,zpci=on,msa5-base=off -serial telnet::4441,server -display none -m 1024 --cdrom ubuntu-18.04.4-server-s390x.iso -kernel kernel.ubuntu -initrd initrd.ubuntu -drive file=ubuntu-run.raw,format=raw

We keep an error "qemu-system-x86_64: -machine s390-ccw-virtio: unsupported machine type"

THX

zos1-10.png?w=968

Edited by utentep2p
refuse

This is a very interesting poll and I commend the people responsible.

I do however question why `SSD Array option with Trim support` is on this poll though.

The other items in the poll are feature enhancements, nice to haves or power user edge cases..... but supporting SSDs in 2020 should be a basic capability for a NAS not something we poll to see if its optionally wanted.

• Like 1

I would like to see a backup software feature.

Example: Plug in a portable usb drive that the backup software marks as the backup device and does not add it to the array. Then you can schedule your backups and have a backup of your server. Mine is only 4TB total with 2TB of data. Could be modified for others with bigger systems.

18 minutes ago, Tubey said:

I would like to see a backup software feature.

Example: Plug in a portable usb drive that the backup software marks as the backup device and does not add it to the array. Then you can schedule your backups and have a backup of your server. Mine is only 4TB total with 2TB of data. Could be modified for others with bigger systems.

You can basically already do this with the Unassigned Devices plugin and the included backup script. 

You plug in a USB external drive and it starts backing up the shares or disks you have specified.  You have to customize the script to your backup needs but that is easy to do.

I have four shares designated to be backed up to a 14TB external drive.  The first time it copies everything in the shares.  Subsequent backups copy just new or modified files.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

You can basically already do this with the Unassigned Devices plugin and the included backup script. 

You plug in a USB external drive and it starts backing up the shares or disk you have specified.  You have to customize the script to your back needs but that is easy to do.

I have four shares designated to be backed up to a 14TB external drive.  The first time it copies everything in the shares.  Subsequnet backups copy just new or modified files.

I didn't realize that the plug-in included a backup script.  Every now and then you read these threads and pick up a good tip.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Backup up option vote here, for the entire server.  I've used Unraid for about 8 years now (pre v.5) and am on my 5th iteration of hardware.  Now that I have so many older drives and builds, I've been wanting to put together a 2nd unraid for full backups that i can keep offline except for the backups run.  I know there are solutions out there but honestly, not being a linux guy they kicked my butt.  In fact, trying to implement the SSH keys (to backup offsite) broke my old vpn solution.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Feature Request Wishlist