Strangely slow download speed

Recently I noticed that my download speeds are slower than usual on my server. I have gigabit internet and would regularly get upwards of 70-100mb/s downloads on large torrents. Now I'm barely able to hit 30mb/s.

Some tests I ran:

• Speedtest/downloaded files using my Windows system - hit gigabit speeds easily
  • Ran a file write speed test on my cache drive and was able to hit 160mb/s write speed consistently
  • Using a mapped folder from my cache drive, I downloaded a large file to it using Windows and was able to get ~70mb/s (probably need a better server to download from)
  • In the unRaid terminal I used curl to download a file to my cache drive and was only able to get around 25mb/s. It seemed as if it would get up to 25mb/s and then suddenly drop down to around 17mb/s and then climb again.

Anyone have some ideas why this might be happening or some things I can check to figure out what's going on?

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Squid said:

Probably dumb question, but are you sure the curl was downloading to /mnt/cache and not /mnt/user where it potentially could wind up on the array depending upon settings, etc

I made sure that the downloads were going to /mnt/cache. Here's the weird thing, I swapped my ethernet cable and now I'm able to hit gigabit speeds using curl, but my torrent downloads are still having the same behavior and only getting to 20-30mb/s.

So I tried doing curl to "/mnt/cache/appdata/qbittorrent" using the unRaid terminal and hit 108mb/s. I then opened up a console into the qbittorrent docker itself and went to /config, which is effectively the same path and tried doing curl, and was only able to hit 30mb/s. I tried this in other dockers and got the same result. Is there something that would limit the speed that dockers are able to download? And I've verified that my docker image is on the cache drive.

Edited by razierklinge

Very odd, since I'm easily able to hit my max wirespeed [ 330 mb/s ] using nzbget docker from usenet to its tmp download directories mapped from /mnt/cache/.

Really hard to take guesses on what's wrong with your setup without solid information to look at like at a minimum your Diagnostics from after your d/l attempts.

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Very odd, since I'm easily able to hit my max wirespeed [ 330 mb/s ] using nzbget docker from usenet to its tmp download directories mapped from /mnt/cache/.

Really hard to take guesses on what's wrong with your setup without solid information to look at like at a minimum your Diagnostics from after your d/l attempts.

Attached my diag file. I really can't make sense of why the dockers are so much slower.

shaun-nas-diagnostics-20191125-0255.zip

Edited by razierklinge

Try uninstalling PreClear Plugin.

I can't say this is a cause, but it's not good to have a current version of something from 2019-08-01 replaced with something from 2017-01-22. [ https://libevent.org/ ]

Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: +==============================================================================
Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: | Upgrading libevent-2.1.11-x86_64-1 package using /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz
Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: +==============================================================================
Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: Pre-installing package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3...
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Removing package: libevent-2.1.11-x86_64-1-upgraded-2019-11-24,00:07:21
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Verifying package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz.
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Installing package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz:

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Try uninstalling PreClear Plugin.

I can't say this is a cause, but it's not good to have a current version of something from 2019-08-01 replaced with something from 2017-01-22. [ https://libevent.org/ ]

Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: | Upgrading libevent-2.1.11-x86_64-1 package using /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz
Nov 24 00:07:21 Shaun-NAS root: Pre-installing package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3...
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Removing package: libevent-2.1.11-x86_64-1-upgraded-2019-11-24,00:07:21
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Verifying package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz.
Nov 24 00:07:22 Shaun-NAS root: Installing package libevent-2.1.8-x86_64-3.txz:

Unfortunately that didn't seem to help. But I have been having this issue for a couple weeks now, long before I updated Preclear.

Something interesting I just found... I changed my qBittorrent docker to use /mnt/cache/appdata instead of /mnt/user/appdata and I am now able to curl to the /config directory inside the docker at gigabit speed. So it's as if writing to /mnt/user directory, whether it's going to the cache or not, is slow? I'm not sure, sounds weird.

First thing first, get your unit right please.

You use "mb/s" for everything. Do you mean megabit per second? Then your "Ran a file write speed test on my cache drive and was able to hit 160mb/s write speed consistently" suggests a potential issue with your cache drive. 160 "mb/s" is 20 megabytes/s - incredibly slow.

Also Have you checked if your ISP and/or VPN is capping your torrent speed?

4 hours ago, testdasi said:

First thing first, get your unit right please.

You use "mb/s" for everything. Do you mean megabit per second? Then your "Ran a file write speed test on my cache drive and was able to hit 160mb/s write speed consistently" suggests a potential issue with your cache drive. 160 "mb/s" is 20 megabytes/s - incredibly slow.

Also Have you checked if your ISP and/or VPN is capping your torrent speed?

My apologies, all my comments are referring to megabytes per second, not megabits.

It's not my ISP or VPN causing the problem as far as I can tell. My torrent speeds are what tipped me off to this problem, but I'm using "curl" in the terminal to download an iso file to specific locations to test my speeds now. When I direct the file to be saved at /mnt/cache I'm hitting 108MB/s, but when I save it to a folder in /mnt/user I get 30MB/s max. And I've verified the file is going to my cache drive when saving to the folder in the user directory.

I know there is overhead involved by using the fuse filesystem, but a ~70% decrease in speed seems excessive. And I'm sure I was able to get at least 100MB/s on my torrents a few months ago. So something along the way has changed, and I've not really touched my unraid settings since I set it up last year.

I should mention that I was originally on v6.7.2 when I noticed this problem, and have moved to v6.8.0-rc7 to see if would make a difference. Which it didn't. :(

• 1 month later...

I've been having a similar problem. Have you had any luck with solutions? I'll start off at ~100MB/s download speeds on rclone (running directly on rclone) or in filezilla running on a windows 10 VM. After about sixty seconds the speeds will drop off entirely, even hitting several bytes/second.

20 hours ago, dexxy said:

I've been having a similar problem. Have you had any luck with solutions? I'll start off at ~100MB/s download speeds on rclone (running directly on rclone) or in filezilla running on a windows 10 VM. After about sixty seconds the speeds will drop off entirely, even hitting several bytes/second.

I forgot to update this thread with what I did to resolve my particular problem. Strangely it was my qBittorrent docker itself that was incapable of downloading any faster than around 30MB/s. I switched my torrent client to Deluge, and then installed the 'ItConfig' plugin and loaded the "performance" settings. With this new setup I am easily able to hit gigabit speeds with torrents. So unfortunately I don't think I can give you any tips for how to fix your rclone speeds.

• 3 years later...