[Solved] [Impatient] Mover killed Boinc tasks.

HK-Steve

Hi Everyone,

I have just started using Boinc Docker on my 3x UnRaid Towers with great success. I added a SSD to my Tower1 yesterday, moved the Boinc Docker to the SSD.

All ran perfect for the day, This morning I found computational errors for all tasks. Saw that the Mover started at 3.40am.

Now I set the Mover to Monthy.

Is there a way to stop the Mover? or setting so it does effect Boinc?

Much appreciated

Steve

tower1-diagnostics-20191126-0733.zip

Edited by HK-Steve

The reason is that mover is (potentially) causing you a problem is that you have changed the “Use Cache” setting to “Yes” for your ‘appdata’ share which tells mover to try and move files from cache to array when it runs.  This causes it to try and move the boinc related files from cache to array which is what I presume is causing your problems (I do not use boinc but this seems likely).  If you had it set to the default of ‘Prefer’ or as ‘only’ then this would not happen and thus mover would not cause any problems to boinc.

2 hours ago, HK-Steve said:

Which setting would be best for my situation, Prefer or Only?

I would suggest the following steps:

• Stop the Docker service (which will stop your Boinc container)
  • Set the 'appdata' share to Prefer
  • Manually run the mover from the Main tab.   This will get any files for the 'appdata' share that have been moved to the array back onto the cache.
  • (optionally) Change the 'appdata' Use Cache setting to Only.  You should also read carefully the Help built into the GUI for the Use Cache setting so you understand how it works and how it affects mover behavior.   You probably want it to be Only if you are certain you will never fill your cache drive and Prefer otherwise.
  • Restart the docker service and (if necessary) the Boinc container

Since you are on the 6.8.0 rc7 release which has improved text to try and reduce the number of times users select the wrong option for the Use Cache setting what made you think that "Yes" was the correct option to select?   Just asking to see if the GUI text can be improved to reduce the chance of other users making the same mistake.

Awesome itimpi.

Did as you suggested, selected Only for now, I can always change If I change my mind.

I think I confused myself.

I was reading many threads and had Prefer on my Tower3 which is running 6.7.2, which I installed the SSD 2 months ago. 

Why I set Yes for Tower1 I do not know. Impatience in wanting to get Boinc up and running possibly.

Your explaination is very logical. The text explaination is very clear also, now that I re-read it.

Appreciate your patience and advice.

Cheers