Disks keep spinning up

t33j4y

I have been running unRAID since version 4 and have always enjoyed the spindown feature a lot - keeps noise levels in my home office down, and is easy on the electricity bill.

Lately however, I have been having a lot of trouble with keeping disks from spinning up.

I have

- tried stopping all dockers and VMs so nothing except the core system is running. I manually spin down disks but  when I look againg after 30 mins, all disks are spun up.

- have installed the File Activity plugin to keep an eye on file activity, and apart from some expected movement on a share that is locked to one disk and also uses cache, nothing goes on. Only that one disk is listed in the activity list, but all disks are spun up.

- have cache_dirs but have set Cache Pressure to 1.

Kind of running out of stuff to check and test, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm.... I seem to have pinpointed when all disks spin up. As to the why, I have no clue.

I have a share that is limited to one disk (disk 1). It has prefer cache set so everything written to the share is written to cache first.

If I read access that share, I would expect that only that one disk would spin up.

- What happens is that disk1 spins up. As I expect.

If I do a write/delete/modify on that share, I would expect disk1 and parity drives to spin up.

- What happens is that disk1 and the two parity drives spin up. And after a short period, the rest of the disks also spin up.

In addition to having only disk1 included for the share, I have tried to also specifically exclude the rest of the disks. Didn't change anything.

Can anyone explain this behaviour? Am I missing some setting or am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

Edit: Tried disabling cache_dirs altogether, which doesn't remedy the issue.

Edited by t33j4y
Tried disabling cache_dirs altogether, which doesn't remedy the issue.