New users created - invalid user or password?

BartDG

Hi all,

I've been using UnRaid for a while now, but solely as a media server.  Up till now, I've done everything as 'root'.  I know this is not the correct way to go about this, but I didn't really care because the server only had to serve up media.

Now I want to really start using the server more, so also as a true file server, using dockers etc...  For this I want to create a user name for me and for my wife, and in the foreseeable future also for both my kids.

So today I created a user for me and for my wife.  The users are there in the user tab, afaik also correctly set up with a password etc.  The shares have also had the correct permissions.

Then I logged out and tried to login with the new users.  For both the users I get an error, saying "invalid user or password".  The only user which work is still only the root user.

Did I do something wrong?  Using Unraid 6.8.0 rc7

Thanks!

Oops, it seems I'm still running into issues.

Because this is the first time I intend to let this server run 24/7, so I no longer set the shares to public, only to private.

When I use my wife's computer and try to access the share \\TOWER\Media (yes, it's a Windows 10 PC), I get the response "no access to \\TOWER. - can't find network path".

I already tried setting the username of my wife on the UnRaid server exactly the same as it is on the Windows PC, but it seems I can't do this entirely because she uses two words, so I have to use an underscore and all lower case letters.  (don't know if it should be exactly the same, but I figure I'd mention it).

When I set the share as public, everything works.  But that's no longer what I want, I want to add some security.

Edit: I can also access the Tower and its shares with my Android phone no problem.  Just need to type in the user and password as expected and it works.  With Windows 10, no love.

Edit: already installed Local Master Plugin.  Doesn't help.

What can I do?

Cheers!

Edited by BartDG
added Android experience

Found it!  I needed to enable "insecure guest logons".  (local group policy editor -> local computer policy -> computer configuration -> administrative templates -> network -> lanman workstation -> enable insecure guest logons.

Also explained in this video here , including a registry key file for windows home users who don't have the local group policy editor otherwise.

I did everything mentioned in that video, except for re-installing SMB v1.  It's not needed to solve this problem (and also insecure).

Edited by BartDG