Docker & Secrets

TDA

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a way to deal with Dockers & Secrets.

Since as you all know, setting in clear text db pwd, or root pwd,etc isn't a good idea I wanted to know how are you dealing with it and if it's possible to use secrets.

If yes - how 🙂

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Well, yeah, you weren't supposed to know! Shhh, try to keep it quiet so no one else finds out.

https://docs.docker.com/engine/swarm/secrets/

Yeah, there are also ways to use it outside of a swarn; but then you have an answer to my question? :D
Cause I've checked more or less how it works with docker itself - but it's usable also with unraid?
With templates?

11 minutes ago, TDA said:

but then you have an answer to my question?

I am afraid I do not have an answer for you.  I came across the concept of secrets when I was looking into some other facet of Docker a few months ago so I knew what you were talking about, but, I have seen no discussion of it relative to the Docker implementation in unRAID.

There is this note in the document I linked:

"Note: Docker secrets are only available to swarm services, not to standalone containers. To use this feature, consider adapting your container to run as a service. Stateful containers can typically run with a scale of 1 without changing the container code."

Edited by Hoopster

Yeah I know they say it's only available inside a SWARM but it isn't.

Now it could be that the secrets are held inside the docker itself, but it seems also not a so good idea:

https://towardsdatascience.com/top-20-docker-security-tips-81c41dd06f57

But atleast from what I have found in my context (I've tried with MARIADB as an example), oviously the masterPWD is held by a variable... which obviously can be found with the inspection of the docker... bad :D

For this reason I wanted to know how to secure this aspect.

Edited by TDA