GPU Drivers baked into unRaid

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, limetech said:

The main roadblock to adding Nvidia and AMD gpu drivers has been that Linux will grab those devices upon boot - which is what you want for them to be used by docker containers but makes it a real PITA for those wanting to passthrough the cards to VM's instead.  Traditionally you had to find out vendor id and stub the drivers via syslinux kernel command line.  To help with this we added vfio-pci.cfg method to select by PCI ID, but still no slick user interface for easily selecting the devices to stub - but lately I've seen a plugin called "VFIO-PCI Config" - maybe the author would help us integrate this natively into Unraid OS 😎

This would open door for us to add gpu drivers without adding a huge burden to VM users.....

This is a very good point, I myself am an example of this scenario! But I have my fingers and toes crossed this will be possible soon!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

The 6.9 Beta 22 release notes indicate GPU drivers are coming in a future release. :D I am super excited even if its months or a year away.

"In a future release we will include the NVIDIA and AMD GPU drivers natively into Unraid OS.  The primary use case is to facilitate accelerated transcoding in docker containers."

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta22-available-r955

Edited by Unknownkwita
5 minutes ago, Unknownkwita said:

The 6.9 Beta 22 release notes indicate GPU drivers are coming in a future release. :D I am super excited even if its months or a year away.

"In a future release we will include the NVIDIA and AMD GPU drivers natively into Unraid OS.  The primary use case is to facilitate accelerated transcoding in docker containers."

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta22-available-r955

Make your own for now ;)

• Thanks 1
On 2/1/2020 at 5:51 AM, Koshy said:

This is not true, proper driver support would mean that the GPU will be able to enter low power mode even when not assigned to a VM.

Koshy, have you tried setting persistence mode on for your card?

nvidia-smi -pm 1

I did this for my pair of 1660 Supers, and after a few minutes they drop from P0 to P8.