Thunderbolt 3

Dtrain

I tried attach a Wavlink UE02 thunderbolt NVME storage to ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac thunderbolt port, on unraid Version: 6.9.0 with kernel 5.10 I believe, nothing happened, the server just won't detect it, no matter hot plug, or power-off-reboot plug. lspci -tnnv shows below output, just not thunderbolt device, and the attached additional nvme storage disk just doesn't show up anywhere:

-[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:3ec2]
           +-01.0-[01]--+-00.0  NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] [10de:1b06]
           |            \-00.1  NVIDIA Corporation GP102 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:10ef]
           +-14.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [8086:a2af]
           +-14.2  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Thermal Subsystem [8086:a2b1]
           +-16.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1 [8086:a2ba]
           +-17.0  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode] [8086:a282]
           +-1b.0-[02]--
           +-1c.0-[03]--
           +-1c.4-[04-3c]--
           +-1d.0-[3d]----00.0  Silicon Motion, Inc. SM2262/SM2262EN SSD Controller [126f:2262]
           +-1f.0  Intel Corporation Z370 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller [8086:a2c9]
           +-1f.2  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller [8086:a2a1]
           +-1f.3  Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio [8086:a2f0]
           +-1f.4  Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:a2a3]
           \-1f.6  Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V [8086:15b8]

Tried force power on thunderbolt device:

echo 1 | tee /sys/bus/wmi/devices/86CCFD48-205E-4A77-9C48-2021CBEDE341/force_power

but still the same lspci -tnnv output.

lsmod | grep thund give below output, seems indicating kernel mod is loaded, but actual thunderbolt device is not detected anyway:

intel_wmi_thunderbolt    16384  0
wmi                    24576  1 intel_wmi_thunderbolt

No clue how to proceed...In theory the linux kernel should have thunderbolt support be default, but not understand why it just doesn't work for unraid...

On 9/7/2020 at 9:03 PM, ju_media said:

+1; did this ever get implemented? Would love to be able to direct-attach my Mac to my Unraid server over TB3 (or even TB2 with the adapter). Anything is going to be better than my current 1Gbe, and I don't want to go the route of paying for all the hardware I need for 10Gbe (switch, NIC for the server, adapter for the Mac).

I would rather just buy a TB2 / TB3 NIC for the Unraid server and direct attach to that... Is this possible since the latest Linux kernels supposedly support Thunderbolt?

I would also like to connect an unraid directly to my mac over thunderbolt 3. Is this possible now?

I did a BIOS update for ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac to version 4.30, and changed the thunderbolt security to none, finally the thunderbolt device can be detected after a unraid reboot, and I managed to passthrough an external eGPU RX560 to a linux VM.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, viumden said:

I did a BIOS update for ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac to version 4.30, and changed the thunderbolt security to none, finally the thunderbolt device can be detected after a unraid reboot, and I managed to passthrough an external eGPU RX560 to a linux VM.

Did you need to do anything else?

4 hours ago, SimonF said:

Did you need to do anything else?

Nothing else, it seems hot plug doesn’t work, but a fresh reboot is fine to detect the card, and then the passthrough just works, I tried Hiveos which has the AMD driver included out of box, I might try macOS Big Sur later when I have time.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, viumden said:

Nothing else, it seems hot plug doesn’t work, but a fresh reboot is fine to detect the card, and then the passthrough just works, I tried Hiveos which has the AMD driver included out of box, I might try macOS Big Sur later when I have time.

I tried a quick passthrough to a working (with VNC as default video card) MacOS Big Sur, no matter keep the VNC video card or not, the os just doesn't boot, maybe some tuning in OpenCore configuration is needed...

Hi all,

I am stuck with the same issues. I want to passthrough eGPUs via Thunderbolt3. Latest OS version. Everything works fine when plugged in and powered up on initial boot.

Once I power down the external enclosures, only a reboot of Unraid seems to bring back the eGPUs.

After powering down the enclosures, the GPUs are still visible via lspci.

/sys/bus/thunderbolt/ does not exist.

I am using a ASUS STRIX B550-F WIFI with an ASUS ThunderboltEX3-TR card, attaching GPUs via Sonnet Breakaway boxes:

04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
05:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
05:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
05:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
05:04.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
06:00.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)
07:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Alpine Ridge 4C 2015] (rev ff)
08:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation DSL6540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Alpine Ridge 4C 2015] (rev ff)
1f:00.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] (rev 06)

Now I am wondering:

Is this a general problem or hardware related? Is anyone successfully hotplugging TB3 devices?

If it is a general problem, what is missing? Do we only have kernel drivers enabled? Only partially? Userland tools missing? If so, what needs to be done here / how can we help?

Are there any workarounds available? Any scripts to manually disconnect / connect the devices?

I am willing to investigate / help / test, any hints are highly appreciated.

cheers,

skies

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, viumden said:

Pls share pics of proof to us,,,

I bought the new Asus Creator B550 ( 2 TB4 Ports) witch is on his way to me ...

looking forward to build a new Server with Unraid & TB4 Support

• 1 year later...

Just adding a note here as I created a page for people to list their experiences with different devices and I'll summarise them and keep it all up to date.  I've also included a sort of live install instructions, which will no doubt need work, but we can update it as we go.  I am managing to see storage devices minus the disks so far, there's probably some trick to mounting the disks once the SATA connector is detected by thunderbolt.  

Anyway, the page is here if you'd like to contribute.

Many thanks,

Marshalleq