Off-the-shelf 5 bay enclosure?

MrGrumpie

Hi all

I've been running unraid for a number of years now, I've got an enormous 20 bay server currently, which I plan to retire, and I want something compact and quiet.  I'm looking to buy 5 x 12TB hard drives, and I want to do the following:

• Stream UHD blurays to my Zappiti 4k HDR media player
  • Run sabnzb, sonarr/radarr on the server at the same time as being able to stream

And that's pretty much it.

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf 5 bay enclosure.  I can build, but my preference would be to buy a chassis ready to go.  On amazon today (I'm in the UK) there's a Terramaster 5 bay server for £299, but it's only dual core, so I'm guessing this won't be sufficient for what I want?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JMWT9TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VQYNS4MF8DIA&psc=1

There is also no video output on the terramaster, is this a big no-no for unraid?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Edited by MrGrumpie
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ioannis said:

Actually, I run my unraid server without any gpu (on-board or dedicated) so no problem there.

What if you need to access the bios, if you have any problems with boot devices etc?

The quad core version of my dual core box is available for £40 more....but there's no HDMI on it, and I'm really wary of running something completely headless.

A few things:

• Unraid will boot headless (if the motherboard allows it) but you will certainly need a display to change BIOS config.
  • 2GB RAM is not enough for what you are trying to do.
  • The CPU itself might only be good enough if there's no transcoding. With transcoding, you need to rely on hardware acceleration (i.e. Intel Quick Sync) but the CPU doesn't support HEVC 10bit i.e. HDR as far as I know.
  • Upgrading to the 4GB memory model makes it in the £500 range. At that price point, you might as well save a bit more to build a proper box (e.g. Node 304 case + low-power mobo + CPU) + Nvdia P2000 and run Unraid Nvidia.
Edited by testdasi