Should I update my BIOS?

Spies

I'm running Version 1804 on my B450 motherboard, which is several version behind the latest, should I update or leave things as they are? Everything appears to be working aside from an issue with IOMMU io_page_fault which I think I have solved by disabling IOMMU in the BIOS.

"always" is a rather strong recommendation that those who suffered from the recent Ryzen BIOS problems would not vouch for.

I would say the more appropriate recommendation is to read the patch notes.

• If there are security patches (and that you are concerned about such security holes) and/or bug fixes (and that you are suffering from such bugs) then update.
  • If the patch notes are not cleared as to what bugs were fixed (and that you are suffering from some bugs) then sure update and see how it goes.
  • Otherwise, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, testdasi said:

"always" is a rather strong recommendation that those who suffered from the recent Ryzen BIOS problems would not vouch for.

I would say the more appropriate recommendation is to read the patch notes.

• If there are security patches (and that you are concerned about such security holes) and/or bug fixes (and that you are suffering from such bugs) then update.
  • If the patch notes are not cleared as to what bugs were fixed (and that you are suffering from some bugs) then sure update and see how it goes.
  • Otherwise, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I agree with this 100%. I've definitely been in situations at work where we updated a server BIOS and it caused more issues than it fixed. On the other hand a BIOS update fixed the issues on my SM board that was causing unraid to randomly reboot. Unless there is a major security patch or I have a bug I'm looking to patch I don't touch my BIOS on unraid.

My desktop computer is a different story. I don't care if it goes down for a day or two, so every now and then I flash the bios.

Edited by CrashnBrn