Machine freezing: end Kernel panic - not syncing: Machine halted

Trylo

Hi!

I've just upgraded my Unraid and I'm having issues. The machine is freezing.

First I've got this:

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]---

So I created a new USB drive, copied config folder and moved a key to the new USB drive, started parity check and after few minutes I've got this:

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Machine halted. ]---

Please have a look at the screen shots. I don't know what to do...

20191202_211035.jpg

20191202_212730.jpg

I have disabled C-states and inserted rcu_nocbs=0-15 into the syslinux configuration.

After that the system was stable for around 10h and then when I tried to power it down to move it, it hang again.

I'm really clueless and spent countless hours. Should I just buy Intel CPU?

If you have ryzen go into the bios go to the Power Supply Idle Control option and enable "Typical current Idle". It should be in the CPU freq options of your bios. This is a old ryzen bug. With the typical current idle option enabled you should not need any rcu_nocbs or any tweaks to the C states. Im running a Gigabyte gaming 5 ax370 using a 2700x and its rock solid. Also remember to keep your motherboard updated.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

• Like 1

David literally JUST beat me to the punch on this.  Thanks @david279!  This is exactly what the user needs to do and should resolve the issue.

Generally speaking, AMD hardware can be more problematic than Intel for various reasons, so if you want to have a smoother experience in the future, switch to Intel and NVIDIA.

Ryzen 7 2700 has been launched a year ago so I thought that by today all issues would be resolved.

I couldn't find said option in bios. The version on my bios is 5.8 from 2019/7/5. Next is 6.0 from 2019/8/16, but next to it I have this message: "* ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system."

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Should I update to 6.0 anyway?