Unraid is it as good as synology when it comes to features?

CSIG1001

53 minutes ago, CSIG1001 said:

tell what unraid cant do that a NAS can do from synology?

From someone that tries to support docker on both Unraid and Synology, my overwhelming impression is I wouldn't personally touch a Synology with a 10 foot barge pole.  Closed system, weird docker implementation which we see lots of issues with that we can't seem to get to the bottom of.

• Thanks 1

One thing I'm going to say is.

Synology UI is fancy and straight easy to use. But I can do so much more with Unraid. Even in money savings. It also depends on the use case, they have enterprise solutions with crazy speed with actual Raid standards if you are into that, whereas Unraid found a nice way of using JBOD with parity.

I will like to say "you get what you pay for" but this isn't the case. To get 6 drives working with Synology, easy you have to spend 700+ just for the case. For Unraid, I literally used an old computer laying around and grew from there.

One last thing I'm going to say is. I don't know how the community forum for sinology is, but Unraid is the best community I've seen so far, the lounge and developers as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I will be building my Unraid server soon..  how many times can you renew the trial key before getting locked out?

Would like to spend at least a month or two testing

Also does unraid have cloud capabilities ,  i saw nextcloud which is what I am looking for to use but is this free?

I understand you have to store files on your server and I am fine with that.  I just want to be able to link my cell phone and other devices, ipad etc. I know these prebuilt NASs have drop box, google cloud , apple cloud etc..     what do i have to do to effectively get a good cloud solution going for sharing files and photos? 

Trial Keys

• Trial keys are downloaded from within Unraid OS running on your server (Go to the Tools > Registration page).
  • Trial keys provide time-limited full functionality of Unraid OS, with no attached storage device limit.
  • Trial keys require an internet connection upon server boot in order to validate. Basic/Plus/Pro keys do not require an internet connection.
  • Your Unraid Trial configuration can be moved to a new USB Flash device before purchasing a registration key.
  • Up to two 15-day Trial extensions are possible.
  • To determine if Unraid will work with your hardware, just use a Free 30-Day Trial key!

I will be building my Unraid server soon..  how many times can you renew the trial key before getting locked out?

Would like to spend at least a month or two testing

Also does unraid have cloud capabilities ,  i saw nextcloud which is what I am looking for to use but is this free?
I understand you have to store files on your server and I am fine with that.  I just want to be able to link my cell phone and other devices, ipad etc. I know these prebuilt NASs have drop box, google cloud , apple cloud etc..     what do i have to do to effectively get a good cloud solution going for sharing files and photos? 
Yes you can. It could be a little bit of a learning curve as you would have to set the nextcloud container and the reverse proxy to make it work. But look for spaceinvader in YouTube. They guy has everything you can imagine for Unraid.

I think you can do more than a month of trial, and even if it expires, you can keep working as long as the array doesn't stop at any given time. This will you give plenty of time before you decide whether Synology or Unraid.

I was in your same position of getting one of this pre-configured NAS, but it's not worth it when you start getting into redundancy, even hosting your own plex server or doing virtualization as well. You need power and an Atom processor can only do as much. But you do what you gotta do

1 minute ago, gacpac said:

Yes you can. It could be a little bit of a learning curve as you would have to set the nextcloud container and the reverse proxy to make it work. But look for spaceinvader in YouTube. They guy has everything you can imagine for Unraid.

I think you can do more than a month of trial, and even if it expires, you can keep working as long as the array doesn't stop at any given time. This will you give plenty of time before you decide whether Synology or Unraid.

I was in your same position of getting one of this pre-configured NAS, but it's not worth it when you start getting into redundancy, even hosting your own plex server or doing virtualization as well. You need power and an Atom processor can only do as much. But you do what you gotta do

I am definitly sold on Unraid for sure. I already have my dell raid cards already modded for JBOD as well as a intel expansion sas to get me to 24 bays on my nordic case .    I have watched spaceinvader 1 and he is the best .   I just hope I can setup a cloud to access my files on unraid server off my network. It would almost make sense just to use a 2 bay cheap synology for this though because I am not sure what I am getting into..  I do plan on using SSD cache drives  as well..  just a simple 8700 intel cpu with 32gb ram etc..  mostly will be used for plex 2 drive redundancy .  

You can do VPN connection to your server if anything. There's an OpenVPN docker container, and also a nice plugin which is my preference, because I can use it with the array offline if anything. Like I said, it's a bit of a learning curve, as you don't have this out of the box pre-configured experience that you get with this off the shelf brands. But it's not like you have to reinvent the wheel or go CLI fixing stuff

I have about 64 terabytes of data being transferred what is the best way to copy this data over to the unraid array? Also how much of minimum space should I give a hard drive when writing across the array so it knows when to stop writing. I heard this will extend the life of hard drives

I have about 64 terabytes of data being transferred what is the best way to copy this data over to the unraid array? Also how much of minimum space should I give a hard drive when writing across the array so it knows when to stop writing. I heard this will extend the life of hard drives
You can do many ways. Rsync via CLI, also krusader docker container, using the unassigned devices plugin and mount the remote share, if you have a way of mounting that remote share as usb then using krusader. The choice you like most, I wouldn't copy and pasting using windows as you add unnecessary overhead copying and pasting that amount.

Also for the shares, and this is personal choice. I left mine in the default settings using high-water. If you want more details I would recommend spaceinvader. He has a video of unraid and Shares how they work, also how to transfer information with the plugins and all that.

Another good option is syncthing docker container as it compares both source and destination as it replicates the information.

74TB is going to take time doesn't matter how you look at it. Maybe you want to do it in stages

1 hour ago, gacpac said:

You can do many ways. Rsync via CLI, also krusader docker container, using the unassigned devices plugin and mount the remote share, if you have a way of mounting that remote share as usb then using krusader. The choice you like most, I wouldn't copy and pasting using windows as you add unnecessary overhead copying and pasting that amount.

Also for the shares, and this is personal choice. I left mine in the default settings using high-water. If you want more details I would recommend spaceinvader. He has a video of unraid and Shares how they work, also how to transfer information with the plugins and all that.

Another good option is syncthing docker container as it compares both source and destination as it replicates the information.

74TB is going to take time doesn't matter how you look at it. Maybe you want to do it in stages

I was thinking of putting my  8 bay JBOD  as a local device on my unraid server  or yes i can do it remotely on a different desktop in my LAN.  Not sure if this is what you mean but which way is better?   I will check out those dockers on youtube to see how they work.. 

ok I will use high water... thanks!   and will check out space invader specifically his video on shares.  

I was thinking maybe copying one 8 TB a day to the server to get it over with. Just not sure if this is reasonable or a faster way to do it? 

Thanks!