Docker zombie state and UNRAID unable to reboot

unw1red

I may have figured this one out, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this situation.

I have a Supermicro 12 HDD chassis with a Supermicro dualXeon motherboard, 12 cores and 24 threads and 128Gb of RAM. I am running about 10 Docker containers with Home Assistant, MariaDB, Radarr, Sonarr, Plex, and Zoneminder (at the time this was happening).

After about 1-2 days after a clean boot, my server would not allow me to connect or use any of the Docker containers. I couldn't kill, restart or upgrade them from the UI or CLI. The processor load would hit about 40-50 when this started happening. UNRAID would still report that the processor usage was about 2-10%. I was unable to reboot the server or kill processes from the CLI and would eventually have to do a hard reboot which makes me cringe.

I finally turned down Zoneminder and recorded my CCTV to an unassigned drive so that the load would not be duplicated to the parity drive. It has been stable for almost 48 hours and seems to be working fine.

When it was in this state, I could do top, htop or ps to see what was going on and there were a huge amount (>100) S or D processes. A large amount of them were disk operations.

Do you think that the duplication of writes could have caused this zombie state with UNRAID?