WD EMAZ vs EZAZ

I've done a lot of confusing reading, and as I've got a bunch of mybooks and elements drives coming in the mail (and mybooks tend to have EZAZ vs EMAZ in the elements/easystore devices) I'm trying to figure out what drives I should actually want.

Some info points to one being He filled, while the other is air filled, some info points to a lower cache on EZAZ, or EMAZ being more likely to be a white labelled red, but I'm honestly confused -- what drives do I want? I plan to only shuck the ones with the drives I want.

42 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

I've done a lot of confusing reading, and as I've got a bunch of mybooks and elements drives coming in the mail (and mybooks tend to have EZAZ vs EMAZ in the elements/easystore devices) I'm trying to figure out what drives I should actually want.

Some info points to one being He filled, while the other is air filled, some info points to a lower cache on EZAZ, or EMAZ being more likely to be a white labelled red, but I'm honestly confused -- what drives do I want? I plan to only shuck the ones with the drives I want.

All my shucked drives are from Easystore enclosures.  Early on they were EFZX reds.  For about two years they have all had EMAZ white drives in them.  The EMAZ drives are definitely Helium filled (at least all the ones I have) as Helium level displays as a SMART attribute on all of them.

AFAIK (I do not know from personal experience), I had heard/read that the Elements enclosures also contain EMAZ drives.  I have no idea what may be in the MyBook enclosures.  I try to stick to Easystore when feasible as I know what I will get with them. 

I've shucked 3 elements drives, and all 3 had EMAZ drives, so I'm fairly certain the new ones will be the same, but I've heard the MyBook enclosures have EZAZ, and I've heard some things about them -- I thought EMAZ was air filled, but looking at SMART, you're right, they're helium -- so I guess I'll just have to see what's in the EZAZ drive when it arrives. Maybe I'll keep one for kicks to see how it compares to the EMAZ drives

• 7 months later...

I shucked EasyStore last year and turned out to be a EMAZ drive. I shucked a MyBook today (after testing) turned out to be a EZAZ drive. Both are 10TB/each and the SMART Attributes section displays, "22 Helium level 0x0023 100 100 025 Pre-fail Always Never 100," for both of them.

I assume they're both Helium at this point.

SMR -OR- non-SMR/CMR is the question.

Edited by JellyLegs
Added MyBook EZAZ drive.
29 minutes ago, JellyLegs said:

I assume they're both Helium at this point.

You assume right.

29 minutes ago, JellyLegs said:

SMR -OR- non-SMR/CMR is the question.

WD Helium models are all CMR, also any WD 8TB or larger model is also always CMR, at least for now.

• Like 1

If you buy a 8tb elements/easystore/mybook now, you will probably get an air CMR EDAZ drive, not helium. It is a whitelabel hitachi hc320 datacenter drive. It appears to be slightly faster than helium EMAZ/EZAZ drives, but it runs 10C hotter. It is probably running 7200rpm and not downspun to 5400rpm. Uses 1-2W more than the helium drives. The 10TB WD externals also have a likely chance of getting an air drive now. The 12TB are still all helium I believe.

When running preclear on mine still inside the external case, I saw temps peak up to 63C! Room temp was ~26C plus. After shucking and putting inside the NAS with a 140mm low rpm fan blowing on it, temps become more reasonable. I see about 43-47C load, 40C or less at idle (not spundown) depending on room temp. But it is still 10C higher than my hitachi coolspin drives in the same backplane.

Edited by kakashisensei
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...