m2 pcie 4x full speed, 10gbits?

So since VMs are currently broken for me ive ordered a new 10gbit NIC. (to use that vlan trick)

Then i notcied, oh my drives would be too slow to use it... xD

So ive bought a pci x4 m2 should give around 2gb/s. (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07HR78FQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Now is my idea to use it as additional drive (not in array), would it theoreticly possible to use it also for appdata? (or lets say for dockers?)

Would that take load from my array?

I need the 10gbits for video editing. So there will only be sometimes load, rest of time it would chill. SO it could be used to speed up the whole array (take load from it), i thought, or is that no good idea?

Edited by nuhll
2 hours ago, nuhll said:

Yeah, i store it on cache drives (ssds). (but the m2 should be better because it has more iops?)

What i mean is, like does it take load from shfs?

I have "very" much dockers running, much small files... (and many webservers via docker)

Complicated answer.

The NVMe should have better random performance than SATA but in practice, it takes a lot of IO to have perceivable diff. I have hosted my appdata on various SATA and M.2 (both AHCI and NVMe) devices and have not noticed any diff.

Where I have noticed the diff is in terms of temp space. When there's very high IO on the temp space (both sequential and random), SATA tends to cause things to grind down a lot more than NVMe. That's why I'm using the Intel i750 as my temp space at the moment.

In terms of shfs load, if your appdata mapping in dockers is /mnt/cache then it will by default take the load off shfs so perhaps start from there.

Having said all of the above, multiple webservers (and thus a lot of small files) would probably be a good use case for the NVMe, especially if you are being DDOS. :)