Lots of parity errors

So I recently migrated from FreeNAS using two new 10TB shucked WD white label drives, 3 x 2TD WD Red drives and an old 120GB SSD from my last setup. Everything seemed to have worked fine until I performed the first scheduled parity check which returned something like several tens of thousands of sync errors... I ran a full SMART check on the parity drive and there was no issue reported. I have just run another parity check and this time it came back with 59073 errors. 

I know the SSD drive I am using for cache has some SMART errors reported but I thought the cache drive was not part of the parity? I have also been using the /mnt/cache folder directly so not sure if that could also be an issue? The next step I was going to take was to remove the cache drive entirely for now and see if the errors go away. Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the cause of these parity issues? I have attached my diagnostics file.

Thanks!

illmatic-diagnostics-20191204-0939.zip

Thanks for clarifying. I am using a HP N36L microserver with 16GB of ECC RAM at the moment. As luck has it I just got a N54L and was planning on moving everything over to that motherboard to upgrade the CPU. I suppose I will give that a go and see if the errors go away then.

I assume that with that many errors I can safely assume I am not protected by parity in case of a disk failure? It is odd as I never had any issues when running a 5 x 2TB ZFS RAIDZ pool on the same hardware and I resilvered the array due to a disk failure not that long ago and didn't experience any data loss that I noticed...

Thanks again for your help.

1 minute ago, threesquared said:

I assume that with that many errors I can safely assume I am not protected by parity in case of a disk failure?

Correct.

1 minute ago, threesquared said:

It is odd as I never had any issues when running a 5 x 2TB ZFS RAIDZ pool on the same hardware and I resilvered the array due to a disk failure not that long ago and didn't experience any data loss that I noticed...

Yes, though hardware can fail at any time, also weird that that sync errors started on the same sectors on both runs, but if I understood correctly the total number was very different correct?

Dec  1 03:00:01 illmatic kernel: md: using 1536k window, over a total of 9766436812 blocks.
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194400
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194408
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194416
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194424
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194432
Dec  1 03:00:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194440

Dec  3 09:30:01 illmatic kernel: md: using 1536k window, over a total of 9766436812 blocks.
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194400
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194408
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194416
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194424
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194432
Dec  3 09:30:19 illmatic kernel: md: recovery thread: P corrected, sector=4194440

All I can say is that I don't see how these sync errors can be a bug or software, only a hardware issue makes sense.

Ok I will see if swapping out some hardware makes any difference. I think the first parity check definitely had more errors but I couldn't be exactly sure of how many more. Is there any way to work out what disk those sectors starting at 4194400 are on?

Edit: So actually the first check returned 392611 errors and second one was 59073 errors

Edited by threesquared

Just a quick update incase anyone reads this. I swapped out the motherboard/cpu tray and also removed the cache drive. I re-ran the parity check which found 20455 more errors but after that run I ran it again and it came back with zero errors this time. Hopefully the issue is sorted now and was most likely hardware related.