[solved] Directory bread failed warnings for polling non-existing devices

eybox

Hello, Unraid community.

There's been an issue which was bugging me for a while, but having a couple of babies at home, didn't have enough time on my hands to go after it. But as with anybody having an OCD, enough is enough - babies or not, I'm tackling this. With your help of course, as I wouldn't be able to do it myself alone :) 

The issue is as follows:

There is constant polling (callbacks) for a couple of devices (sdp & sds) that are not connected and/or part of the server build (and have never been), yet the system is constantly trying to access them read/write or whatever it polls them for, and throws constant warnings in the log files (attaching diagnostics info to the post). All day, every day. And it looks something like this:

Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: fat__get_entry: 54 callbacks suppressed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sds1): Directory bread(block 16384) failed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sds1): Directory bread(block 16385) failed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sds1): Directory bread(block 16386) failed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: fat__get_entry: 54 callbacks suppressed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sdp1): Directory bread(block 16384) failed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sdp1): Directory bread(block 16385) failed
Dec 5 13:50:00 CORTEX kernel: FAT-fs (sdp1): Directory bread(block 16386) failed

Background and context:

I'm an intermediate Unraid 6.7.2 user (can handle some, but not all of what Linux can offer), running an older-generation dual Xeon custom built system dubbed CORTEX, which I'm mostly using for a family NAS and media server (PLEX). I also have a few VMs (different OSs) to play around with on it, with one of them being constantly running as my daily PC driver (Win10).

That being said, I have no idea where this issue comes from. Sadly, a reboot is not a fix. Tried to diagnose this myself, but apparently I lack the necessary knowledge to tackle this on my own, hence I would require your help. So... pretty please :) 

Thank you upfront for your time looking into this.

Kind regards,

E

cortex-diagnostics-20191205-1130.zip

Edited by eybox
SOLVED

Hi, ti-ti jorge.

And thank you for your reply. But as I've typed into the closing statements of the original post itself - sadly a reboot doesn't fix this issue. It still persists.

As for the rotating syslogs, my server is running 24/7/365. I reboot it just 2-3 times per year (usually around Unraid upgrades), I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

Kind regards,

E

You actually might have pointed me in the right direction here.

After disabling mover logging (as suggested), and then rebooting the server, all these warnings stopped popping up. At least for the time being. I'll still monitor closely in the next 24 hours or so to see how it goes. 

But anyways, I'll be closing this topic as solved now. Thanks again!

Edited by eybox
Bad grammar