Disk Shelf for Dell R530

IKWeb

Hello Forum 

I have a Dell R530 server which is running as my main UNRaid Server. 

This has worked great but now I am at the point where all 8 bays are full and I want to add more storage. Rather than buying larger HDD, I want to look at what options I have for a Disk Shelf. I am based in the UK and I am able to add expansion cards into the Dell Server. 

Are any of you guys using a disk shelf for exara storage? if so what are you using and how? 

TIA 

I don't know what you can find locally for disk shelves (as you call them) but when you consider the cost of them, plus the cables and controllers, have you considered just replacing the R530 with a different machine entirely, with more drive bays?

More info on your current setup would help.

Hi Sota - Thank you for the reply. 

I could replace the R530 but as its under warentee and has over 400GB RAM I would like to keep it around as long as I can. I have 3 yeard of Dell warentee left. 

I did look at maybe getting an old NetApp shelf as in the UK I can pick them up for around £150 / £200 but the cable that they use to connect back to the server is stupid money. 

Been looking at 45 Drives and working out if I can just pop a LSI card in it and connect it back to the Dell Server as a dumb shelf that would do what I need. But I am not sure its possiable. 

Other option is to get another server with more bays... but they I would have 2 UNRAID servers to manage, but that would be a last resort as it would mean more managment etc.