7.2 mbps of unexplained incoming traffic.

Pjhal

No discs are being written too.

I haven't set up any copy jobs. 

Nothing on my network is uploading at anything close to those speeds, not even totaled.

To the Unraid server or otherwise.

And i even blocked the server from accessing the internet on my router.

Turned FTP off, stopped all dockers, removed read permissions to shares. Still the same steady incoming 7 ish mbps.

I am running the pre-clear plugin, so i would rather not reboot.

And i assume that the pre-clear plugin should not cause incoming traffic on an Ethernet port.

Maybe i am missing something super obvious and i'm just and idiot.

But i don't understand what is going on here.

2019-12-05.sysstats.Untitled.png

2019-12-05.incoming Untitled.png

2019-12-05.Untitled.png

tower-diagnostics-20191205-2223.Anonymized.zip

Edit: It stopped After doing this constantly for at least 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Edited by Pjhal

From your screen capture of the Main tab, nothing is being written to any device on the array.  (I am assuming that it was taken when this activity was going on.)

Now, 7.2Mbps is not very fast (for a data transfer).  I would suspect that it is GUI activity.  Did you have more than one GUI screen open?  Were you 'watching' the preclear progress on those three drives? 

• Like 1

Not related but I noticed some FCP warnings in your syslog. You shouldn't ignore these unless you know exactly why they don't apply to your specific use (and these do apply):

Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share Disk2 test is set for both included (disk2) and excluded (disk1,disk3,disk4) disks
Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share Films is set for both included (disk2) and excluded (disk1) disks
Dec  5 21:10:06 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Dynamix SSD Trim Plugin Not installed
Dec  5 21:10:06 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Syslog mirrored to flash

You shouldn't set both include and exclude and there is never any good reason to do so. Include means ONLY and Exclude means EXCEPT, so using one or the other not both, covers all possibilities. Remove one or the other. In fact, your setting for Films isn't even consistent.

And I don't know why you would even have a share named Disk2. It doesn't appear in your user shares, and include / exclude settings don't make any sense for a disk share. Maybe you removed that share after it was logged. Hope you can clarify this one for me.

And you don't want to mirror syslog to flash permanently since you will wear out your flash drive. That should only be done temporarily as a troubleshooting measure. Better yet set syslog server to write to one of your user shares.

Also, your system share has files on the array instead of all on cache where they belong, so your dockers won't perform as well due to parity and they will keep array disks spinning.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, trurl said:

Not related but I noticed some FCP warnings in your syslog. You shouldn't ignore these unless you know exactly why they don't apply to your specific use (and these do apply):

Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share Disk2 test is set for both included (disk2) and excluded (disk1,disk3,disk4) disks
Dec  5 21:10:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share Films is set for both included (disk2) and excluded (disk1) disks
Dec  5 21:10:06 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Dynamix SSD Trim Plugin Not installed
Dec  5 21:10:06 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Syslog mirrored to flash

You shouldn't set both include and exclude and there is never any good reason to do so. Include means ONLY and Exclude means EXCEPT, so using one or the other not both, covers all possibilities. Remove one or the other. In fact, your setting for Films isn't even consistent.

And I don't know why you would even have a share named Disk2. It doesn't appear in your user shares, and include / exclude settings don't make any sense for a disk share. Maybe you removed that share after it was logged. Hope you can clarify this one for me.

And you don't want to mirror syslog to flash permanently since you will wear out your flash drive. That should only be done temporarily as a troubleshooting measure. Better yet set syslog server to write to one of your user shares.

Also, your system share has files on the array instead of all on cache where they belong, so your dockers won't perform as well due to parity and they will keep array disks spinning.

Oh that was purely a test, hench the share name ''disk2 test''. I don't use it. But thanks for the tip!

And i didn't realize it was so easy to set syslog server to write to one of your user shares. I changed it thx !

In general my shares are a mess, because i was messing with the settings, seeing what happens. The System is still new with no important data on it (yet).

The system disk was set to prefer but i guess it just needs to be ''yes'' . Fixed 

9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

From your screen capture of the Main tab, nothing is being written to any device on the array.  (I am assuming that it was taken when this activity was going on.)

Now, 7.2Mbps is not very fast (for a data transfer).  I would suspect that it is GUI activity.  Did you have more than one GUI screen open?  Were you 'watching' the preclear progress on those three drives? 

Yes it was at the same time. The strange thing was that it lasted so long and was so constant. Isn't 7.2 mbps a lot, for incomin traffic if its just the GUI?

Also it seems its back again! Do not/Did not have more then 1 tab open.  

2019-12-05.sysstats.Untitled.png

2019-12-07.Untitled.png

Edited by Pjhal
38 minutes ago, Pjhal said:

The system disk was set to prefer but i guess it just needs to be ''yes'' . Fixed 

Yes is definitely wrong, since Yes means move from cache to array.

Prefer is OK or Only. Prefer is the only setting that can help you get it moved to cache. Prefer means move from array to cache, but you can't move open files so more would need to be done to make that work. Specifically, while docker service and VM service is enabled you can't move docker and libvirt images.

47 minutes ago, Pjhal said:

The System is still new with no important data on it (yet).

Simplest is probably to just disable and delete those images, set system to cache-only, and recreate them so they will go on cache.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BRiT said:

When you see the traffic inbound, have you tried looking at what "netstat -a" says ?

I had not! New to Unraid/command line Linux. Can i safely post those results? I don't really understand what it is saying.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Yes is definitely wrong, since Yes means move from cache to array.

Prefer is OK or Only. Prefer is the only setting that can help you get it moved to cache. Prefer means move from array to cache, but you can't move open files so more would need to be done to make that work. Specifically, while docker service and VM service is enabled you can't move docker and libvirt images.

Simplest is probably to just disable and delete those images, set system to cache-only, and recreate them so they will go on cache.

Alright, will do that then. 

Just now, trurl said:

Yes is definitely wrong

There is a Help (?) button on the menu bar. It will turn on/off Help for all pages in the webUI. You can also toggle help for a specific setting by simply clicking on its label.

Here is a link to a post in the FAQ that explains the nuances of the Use cache setting in much more detail:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-537383

That FAQ is pinned near the top of this same subforum. Lots of other useful info in that FAQ and also in the Docker FAQ pinned near the top of the Docker Engine subforum.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, trurl said:

There is a Help (?) button on the menu bar. It will turn on/off Help for all pages in the webUI. You can also toggle help for a specific setting by simply clicking on its label.

Here is a link to a post in the FAQ that explains the nuances of the Use cache setting in much more detail:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-537383

That FAQ is pinned near the top of this same subforum. Lots of other useful info in that FAQ and also in the Docker FAQ pinned near the top of the Docker Engine subforum.

I had found the help button, just hadden't gotten around to reading up on the cache yet. Thank you for the link ill save it, and dig into all cache information this weekend.

I just noticed that bond0 is my ipmi interface on my Asrockrack X470D4U mother board: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download

bond0 and eth0 are both listing the exact same numbers . But they do have different mac addresses and the system has 2 cables hooked up.   So this is perhaps just related to the impi/kvm, some weird internal traffic?(sorry didn't think about mentioning this sooner)

I thought bond0 was some ''unraid thing''.

For the record i was not using the ipmi/kvm functions and it still showed the constant 7.2 mbps inbound activity, also the kvm function won't work at the moment for some reason ('' powered off no signal'').

And just now  it seems the speed dropped again to 30/40 kbps inbound on both bond0 and eth0.

Weird...

Edited by Pjhal