New Unraid Server Build-newbie

Hi Unraid Community.

Currently looking into building an Unraid server to since it fits my needs. Planning on using it as a NAS, running Plex Media Server, a Windows VM, and a Mac VM for a work application. Possibly adding a few containers. I'm good at building normal gaming PCs but when it comes to servers and performance, I'm not sure what to expect. My current systems are a desktop running windows 10 as a Plex server with 8TB (RAID 5) of storage and an Nvidia 1080 GTX graphics for h/w transcoding. That is backed up by a Netgear NAS with dual 6TB mirrored drives. I have a Mac mini that I host a server for app testing for work. The hardware is listed below, feel free to blow me out of the water if I don't think i should be going  that route.

Budget: ~$2000

Case: Roseville RSV-L4312 (12 SATA drive bay, existing) $0

Motherboard: ASRock X299 TAICHI CLX LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard (10 SATA connectors, PCIE configuration: x16,x4,x16,x8) ~$400

CPU: Intel Core i9-9820X 10-Core (44 Lanes of PCIE 3.0) ~$700

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L $80

RAM: 32GB @ DDR4 4000 (unchosen)

RAID Card: LSI 9300-8i SATA/SAS Host controller (connecting last 2 drive bays running on x16 lane [but only using x8]) ~$150

Storage: 6x Seagate IronWolf NAS 6TB, (move over existing hard drives to fill all 12 slots) $0 provided by work

Graphics: Nvidia 1080 GTX (existing, running on x16 PCIE lane)

Power Supply: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W 80+ Titanium ~$300

Network: Intel X540T2 Dual 10Gbps NIC (connected to 10G port of SG350, running on x8 PCIE lane) $100

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

@iDashX Thank you for asking this. I understand this thread is almost a year old but wanted to reach out and see if this build is what you went with and how it worked out for you.

Asking because, my use-case and specific needs are 99% similar to yours - Plex & Emby server on docker (need HW transcoding for both), Windows VM, MacOS VM (Catalina), HassOS VM and a bunch of dockers (mostly usenet and server monitoring related ones). Current server is a quad core (8 threads) and it is stretched pretty tight.

The planned build is as below (pretty similar to what you have in the OP) - some of the parts are ones that I already have, and my existing case is a Norco RPC 4020. So just wanted some feedback on how this worked out for you, especially the CPU and the Board if you built it as planned above.

All help appreciated. Thanks. 

640394466_UnRaidServerParts.thumb.jpg.bf2ec929226202448be78ed58ecaf014.jpg

Edited by abhi.ko
  • 1 year later...

Any Pre-built unraid systems with 10GBethernet and ECC ram?

8 bays would do. Preferable on board nvme for cache.

I normally would build it myself, just struggle with free time.

I have the drives for it already. Nice Toshiba 14TB NAS drives.

I am done with my QNAP experience, and coming back to unraid after a 5 year break.

I seem to be fixing something every other day on QNAP.

Edited by smino