Do docker paths have to point to physical drives? ?

amp3d

This may be a silly question, and hopefully I'm clear with my question. 

Basically I've been using unraid with the sonar docker working great for a year or so. All downloads go to container /downloads that point to mnt/disk1/downloads. Worked great. 

Fast forward this week I installed an additional hard drive and now want /downloads pointing to both disk1 and disk2.

I've included the extra drive in the /downloads share to include both disks, but when I change the docker settings to point to /mnt/usr/downloads the sonar docker won't see it. 

However, selecting one of the two physical disks work, just not the download share that includes both disks. 

Can dockers use user shares or do the paths need to point to a physical disk? 

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Is that really what you set it to?    All User Shares start with /mnt/user (note the extra e).   Using User shares with docker container mapping is fine.

I stand corrected, that was a typo from my mobile device.

/mnt/user/downloads for me does not show up in any of my dockers when I try to use it as a path.

/mnt/disk1/downloads does work in my dockers.

For some reason as soon as I point to a user share, the docker won't map it. 

This is happening on multiple dockers.

Edited by amp3d

User shares sure are. I can access all my files and move them around and stuff in windows.

Ls -l /mnt/user shows all my shares including the download ones, media, etc. 

I can use all shares as per normal, except no dockers will mount them 

I've tried multiple docker containers and none mount a share... Will only mount direct paths :(

Edited by amp3d
On 12/7/2019 at 4:52 PM, Jidovu Marius Adrian said:

Did you try to access the share with something else as well ?

Also can you open unraid terminal and run

ls -l /mnt/user

As it turns out, I do not see that share being mounted when typing that "within my docker container".

No shares are showing up there.

The shares are however working outside of the docker container.

I've tried pretty much everything. Wondering if I should wipe the entire unraid server and start over. It's a huge job though and one I really wish not to do!

5 hours ago, amp3d said:

As it turns out, I do not see that share being mounted when typing that "within my docker container".

No shares are showing up there.

Only the container side path mapping will show within the container. So, if you haven't mapped a host path referencing /mnt/user, you won't see those shares inside the container. If you have mapped /mnt/user to the container, it will show up at the mount point you assigned, not /mnt/user

On 12/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, amp3d said:

For some reason as soon as I point to a user share, the docker won't map it. 

Post a docker run command while testing this.

Thanks for everyone's help! With the tips above I was able to further troubleshoot and found out that the user shares were in fact being mapped.

The issue was related to how the folders were being split (and sonarr kept trying to move the files to the drive that didn't have enough space left).

Changing that resolved the issue.

Thanks again everyone for being so patient with me!