Unable to Mount Unassigned Devices Drive using UD Plugin

Hi, I'm new-ish to unRAID but i cannot get my 4TB Seagate drive so I can view and then copy the files on it to my array. When I go to mount the drive, the "Mount" option is greyed out. I have 3 partitions of it as I converted my Windows 10 computer to unRAID and I still need to copy the media on this drive to the array.

122886400_Screenshot2019-12-07at21_55_20.thumb.png.a221a29be4d5d90d874cb3197784d31c.png

I have used the Unassigned Devices Plugin and it worked with my 240 GB SSD, but not with this drive. Please help! Thank you.

3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Press the black + button on the lower right of the black disk icon below the "T" in IDENTIFICATION to show the individual partitions.

I have seen the parititons before, but the actual drive cannot be mounted to be able to be viewed from any other device. All of the options are grayed out and there is nothing when I click on the log on the right side.612330117_Screenshot2019-12-07at22_06_32.thumb.png.ecc3f8827e1ba1db1ab26f10774247db.png

Just now, dlandon said:

The file system on the disk is not recognized by UD.

If I recall, the file system should just be NTFS, I don't see why it shouldn't work though.

2 minutes ago, testdasi said:

I suggest perhaps you post in the UD support topic. I haven't seen this before.

Okay, do I create a new post or can I change this topic?

Not sure but I think using an hdd usb adapter might be the fastest way to recover the data on that drive before you format it and add it into unraid array.

If you use hdd usb adapter then you can attach it directly to a windows vm and copy your data.

If you do not want to play in the windows vm config and add it there you can install Libvirt Hotplug USB from the Apps store which will help you attach / detach usb devices on the fly.

Edited by Jidovu Marius Adrian
13 minutes ago, Jidovu Marius Adrian said:

Not sure but I think using an hdd usb adapter might be the fastest way to recover the data on that drive before you format it and add it into unraid array.

If you use hdd usb adapter then you can attach it directly to a windows vm and copy your data.

If you do not want to play in the windows vm config and add it there you can install Libvirt Hotplug USB from the apps store which will help you attach / detach usb devices on the fly.

Right, I might have to do that. I didn't know about the Libvert plugin so thats definitely something I will get! 

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can always go directly to the correct support thread for any of your plugins by selecting the Support link on the Plugins page in the webUI.

Okay, thank you. I'll do this as well.

16 hours ago, Jidovu Marius Adrian said:

I bought an adapter (next day amazon prime delivery) but when I plugged it in and tried to pass it through it didn't work. So I got my old Windows 10 SSD, and booted it up to check to see if the 4TB drive was corrupted. At first sight, it doesn't look like it. So, unRAID is not responding to the drive. I'm going to try and use the adapter with an old Windows 8.1 laptop, but I doubt it will work to copy the data across.

2 hours ago, Harry3110 said:

I bought an adapter (next day amazon prime delivery) but when I plugged it in and tried to pass it through it didn't work. So I got my old Windows 10 SSD, and booted it up to check to see if the 4TB drive was corrupted. At first sight, it doesn't look like it. So, unRAID is not responding to the drive. I'm going to try and use the adapter with an old Windows 8.1 laptop, but I doubt it will work to copy the data across.

You should have no issue reading that hdd from a windows machine, let us know if you were able to save your data using your old laptop.

2 minutes ago, Jidovu Marius Adrian said:

You should have no issue reading that hdd from a windows machine, let us know if you were able to save your data using your old laptop.

Some how, that didn't work. It's like the data is encrypted or locked only to the original computer/OS hard drive but I don't think I used anything like that. The only thing I can think of is Bitdefender, but I haven't done anything myself.

I have an old Linux laptop, can I copy over data to a hard drive that has been taken out of an array to it, and then put the hard drive back into the array?

Cant you connect the laptop to the same network that unraid use and do that over smb?

That way you do not need to remove any hdd from the array.

I know that unraid will remember the hdd if you remove it from array and add it back but not sure what will happen if you copy data on it and add it back, that question must be answered by unraid officials. ( my guess is it will retain the new data and recognize the hdd in the array but like I said have some unraid official to confirm it)

5 minutes ago, Jidovu Marius Adrian said:

Cant you connect the laptop to the same network that unraid use and do that over smb?

That way you do not need to remove any hdd from the array.

I know that unraid will remember the hdd if you remove it from array and add it back but not sure what will happen if you copy data on it and add it back, that question must be answered by unraid officials. ( my guess is it will retain the new data and recognize the hdd in the array but like I said have some unraid official to confirm it)

I tried to connect the old media HDD (laptop) --> unRAID array via smb over the network but the HDD wouldn't show up.

I tried to connect the new HDD (laptop) --> Windows PC that I'm converting to the unRAID array and that was working but when I put the HDD back into unRAID the file system wasn't recognised...

Also, originally next to the HDD it said "sdd" (as shown in original post, but now it shows "sdb" and I haven't changed anything intentionally. 

Edited by Harry3110
  • 3 years later...