Upgrading Parity Drive - 6.7.2

SO I am changing out my parity to a WD Red 8TB. I'm in the final stages of preclear, I just want to make sure I have this right.

After it's done, I just stop the array, unassign the current parity (6TB Cuda), assign the new WD Red to the parity and then let parity rebuild. Correct? 

After the parity is done rebuilding, I can format the existing parity drive and add it to the array. Any point in keeping it for a bit? Preclear on the Red is all clear and perfect. So no concerns there.

Parity check was done Monday of last week. So the current parity is good and up to date. 

So to be clear, am I right with thinking the following steps are correct

- Wait for preclear to be done

- Shut down array, unassign current parity, assign new parity and let it rebuild

- Format existing parity and add into array as another disk

- Have more space and enjoy my new larger array

Right?

Technically you would be fine to do both operations simultaneously, using the new config tool.

Tools, New Config, preserve all, main, select new parity instead of current, then assign current parity into unoccupied data slot.

As long as you don't format the old parity drive the contents will be preserved while parity is built to the new drive, then when everything looks ok and you have a successful parity check you can format the old parity drive without waiting for it to be cleared as it will already be a part of the array.

• Like 1

I have basically the same situation as the OP and I have a question.   I saw instructions in another thread (that was for an older version of unraid) that suggested after the parity rebuild is done, that I should do a parity check.  Is that still needed?  Or after the parity rebuild is done can I just start using my array like normal?

Any clarification would be appreciated,  Thanks in advance!