(SOLVED) Failed disk followed by I/O errors

9 minutes ago, Clay Smith said:

Should I cancel the current xfs_repair operation to do this or wait until it completes?

You can wait but it will likely have the same result as before, i.e., no superblock found.

10 minutes ago, Clay Smith said:

If starting the array in normal mode gives me access to the (emulated?) disk, would it be worth trying to copy any of my recent writes to another drive before attempting to mount with UD?

Emulated disk isn't mounting, with UD you'd be using the old disk, emulated disk can only be used in the array.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

You can wait but it will likely have the same result as before, i.e., no superblock found.

Emulated disk isn't mounting, with UD you'd be using the old disk, emulated disk can only be used in the array.

I am able to mount the disk using UD and am able to browse the files from within the unraid webUi.  What's the best plan from moving past here.  You mentioned doing a new config and re-sync parity.  Should I wait to do that until after I've checked the cables?  In regards to replacing the drive, should I let parity re-sync, then swap the drive and let it build the new drive from parity?

6 minutes ago, Clay Smith said:

Should I wait to do that until after I've checked the cables?

It would be my recommendation.

7 minutes ago, Clay Smith said:

In regards to replacing the drive, should I let parity re-sync, then swap the drive and let it build the new drive from parity?

In this case you wouldn't be replacing any drives, you'd be using all current data disks (including the old disk4) as they are and re-sync parity, to do that you need to:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-re-assign old disk4 if needed

-start array to begin pariyy sync, all data should be available immediately, if any disk is unmountable post new diags.

9 minutes ago, Clay Smith said:

I am able to mount the disk using UD and am able to browse the files from within the unraid webUi.  What's the best plan from moving past here.  You mentioned doing a new config and re-sync parity.  Should I wait to do that until after I've checked the cables?  In regards to replacing the drive, should I let parity re-sync, then swap the drive and let it build the new drive from parity?

Make sure that when moving it to the array you move it to a specific disk.   If you try to move it from the cache to a User Share you will end up truncating the file to zero length thus losing its contents.  

15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

In this case you wouldn't be replacing any drives

Sorry, I meant that as a different thought.  Once all is said and done (assuming the parity sync goes smoothly) I would like to replace the drive.  This drive is an older WD Green drive that was originally supposed to be temporary while I waited for a different drive to be RMA'd after failing a pre-clear.  I'll just worry about getting through this first and not get ahead of myself.

From the state we're in now should I just power off the machine and leave it until I can check cables tonight?

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Make sure that when moving it to the array you move it to a specific disk.   If you try to move it from the cache to a User Share you will end up truncating the file to zero length thus losing its contents.  

I don't think I quite follow this, sorry.  What file are you referring to?

The parity sync finished this morning with 0 errors, no more SMART errors appeared on disk 4 during the process, and I can browse and write to the shares from windows.  I enabled the docker service again and my docker containers seem to be up and running now as well.

Thank you so much for helping me get this back up and running so quickly.

• Clay Smith changed the title to (Solved) Failed disk followed by I/O errors
  • Clay Smith changed the title to (SOLVED) Failed disk followed by I/O errors