not enough free space for unRaid update

tzotz

Hi All,

I tried to update unRaid to the latest version (it's now 6.5.2), I received the following message (see attached log):

boot device shows 187968 free but upgrade needs 189948
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

I saw that there's a directory, Previous, that has more than 150KB used (see attached), can I delete some files from this Previous dir so that the update will succeed?

Thank you all,

Best. tzotz

previous dir.jpg

update log.jpg

What size is your flash drive?     Sounds as if you need a larger one.

The ‘previous’ folder is where Unraid puts the release that you are currently running as part of the upgrade process from the GUI and it’s contents will be recreated any time you try to run the update from the GUI to allow for reverting to the previously running release.

you can update manually by downloading the ZIP file for the release and extracting all the bz* type files to the root of the flash drive.   When doing this you can delete the ‘previous’ folder and it’s contents as that folder is only used to support the option in the GUI to revert to the previously running release.

Thank you opentoe and itimpi for your response,

My flash drive is 520MB, I don't mind getting a larger one but I remember from years ago that the flash drive must be verified and approved by unRaid , something about the flash drive ID, I forgot exactly what needs to be done it was so long ago that I started to use unRaid.  Can I just get a larger one and copy the old one onto it?

Thanks again for your support,

Best regards, tzotz

Just now, tzotz said:

Thank you opentoe and itimpi for your response,

My flash drive is 520MB, I don't mind getting a larger one but I remember from years ago that the flash drive must be verified and approved by unRaid , something about the flash drive ID, I forgot exactly what needs to be done it was so long ago that I started to use unRaid.  Can I just get a larger one and copy the old one onto it?

Thanks again for your support,

Best regards, tzotz

You are correct in that the license is tied to the GUID of the flash drive and so any replacement drive must have a unique GUID.   This should be no problem if using a reputable brand but can be an issue with cheap generic ones where the manufacturer re-uses the same GUID on all their drives.   Also it may not be obvious but if purchasing a new drive for use with Unraid you are better of getting a USB2 one as they tend to cause less issues and since it runs from RAM Unraid gets no appreciable speed boost from using a USB3 drive.

The process of transferring a licence to a new drive is now automated as described here .  Please ask if there are any questions on the process.

Thanks again,

I ran unRaid.USB.Creator following the outlined steps using two (Cruzer Micro) SanDisk usbs (1GB and 2GB) none succeeded in booting the server.  I will, later today, buy a new USB stick and try again. 

Am I missing something here?

Thanks and best regards, tzotz

2 minutes ago, tzotz said:

Thanks again,

I ran unRaid.USB.Creator following the outlined steps using two (Cruzer Micro) SanDisk usbs (1GB and 2GB) none succeeded in booting the server.  I will, later today, buy a new USB stick and try again. 

Am I missing something here?

Thanks and best regards, tzotz

No obvious reason that would not work :(   What are you OS are you running the USB.Creator tool on?   I tend to just use the traditional manual method myself.  What are the exact symptoms when it fails?

One thing to watch for is that some BIOS's try to be 'helpful' and reset the device boot order when they spot a new bootable device.

Hi,

The USB.Creator tool runs on Windows 10 version 1903.

There are no visual symptoms - I stick the usb into its socket and start the server, the usb blinks a number of times and that's that - I wait a few minutes which are normally enough to boot and start the server (booted with a functional usb) and I can't connect the to server nor can I ping it.

Please tell me what is the traditional manual method - I'll give it a try.

The monitor connected to the server went belly up on me (didn't use it for months) so I can't say how far the boot sequence went - I will now boot with the functioning usb and search the log maybe that will yield some useful info.

Thanks again for your help.

Best

1 hour ago, tzotz said:

Please tell me what is the traditional manual method - I'll give it a try.

The link on the downloads page appears to be broken.  This is covered here in the online documentation.

1 hour ago, tzotz said:

There are no visual symptoms - I stick the usb into its socket and start the server, the usb blinks a number of times and that's that - I wait a few minutes which are normally enough to boot and start the server (booted with a functional usb) and I can't connect the to server nor can I ping it.

It will be almost impossible to resolve a booting issue unless you have some way of observing it either via an attached monitor or via an IPMI connection (if your motherboard supports it) and of getting at the BIOS settings.

1 hour ago, tzotz said:

The monitor connected to the server went belly up on me (didn't use it for months) so I can't say how far the boot sequence went - I will now boot with the functioning usb and search the log maybe that will yield some useful info.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to help as it does not appear the booting process is getting far enough to log anything and also the log will not survive a reboot.

Hi, back again,

Hooked a monitor, inserted the USB I prepared with Unraid.USB.Creator.Win32-1.6, the usb is a 1GB Cruzer Micro, started the server AND:

BOOT ERROR

NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - - INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY

My other USB (a Sony Micro Vault Tiny) loaded subsequently smoothly.

What's next?

Thanks again, best, tzotz

Get to the BIOS and see what the boot settings are.  BIOS vary as to how they handle the device that they will use for the boot process so you have to actually check the settings to make sure that it will use the new device. 

IF that does not work, plug the flash drive into your Win10 computer.  Open up the flash drive with Windows Explorer and look in the root folder of the drive.  Right click on the  make_bootable.bat  file and select "Run as administrator" option in the dropdown menu.  Watch the messages and make sure it completes successfully. 

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks again,

There seems to be no BIOS problem with the small (512MB Sony Micro Vault Tiny), but the BIOS setting complains "Boot Error" when the larger 1GB SanDisk Cruzer usb is inserted.  Strange, this is an old Pentium D, I will dive into its documentation to look for possible restrictions that apply to USB booting.

I did run "make_bootable.bat" as Administrator 

Halleluja problem finally solved.

It seems that the USB stick created with the USB Creator tool was not bootable even after the make_bootable.bat file was executed.

I anyone is interested I'm attaching a documentation of the process I went through to create the unRaid USB and get it to boot.

Thank you all for your support,

Best, tzotz

Solving ''Boot Error'' booting unRaid USB.pdf