Unraid wont boot HELP!

JBanner

Hi,

Sorry but I'm quite inexperienced at unraid, and I'm in a bit of a mess...

I was having issues with space on my cache SSD drive.

So I started messing with the shares that were using the cache, and turned off the cache on some of the shares, Then I got an alert from I think fix common problems saying there were files on the cache that were not copied onto the array. So Not remembering which ones were on or not before,  I turned everything onto "Prefer".

Next, the cache drive TOTALLY filled up and mover was stuck, in the log it was constantly saying something like "Cache Drive Full"

I could not stop mover from running (I tried "killall rsync" and nothing, I tried "pkill mover" and nothing) So I did a restart from the restart button in the GUI.

Unraid booted up and mover was no longer running, so I tried turn the cache off on all the user shares, leaving it only on the system ones that I had not created. But the cache drivve was still full and the system was not running correctly (No VM's no Dockers)

I went back into the shares to try and re set teh cache drive, but unraid crashed, and now wont boot.... showing the following screen..

PLEASE HELP!

IMG_1420.jpeg

Plug your USB stick to another machine and attached in your next post the 2 zip files in the screenshot (tower-diagnostics-20191209-1038.zip and tower-diagnostics-20191209-1048.zip - they are under \logs folder). Someone on here probably can help have a look.

The booting issue is probably unrelated to what you did to the share cache settings.

Also, with regards to cache, you should have set it to "Yes" (EXCEPT for the appdata / docker / vdisk) and run the mover to free up cache space first.

• Yes = store in cache first, mover always moves out of cache into array
  • Prefer = always store in cache, unless cache full then mover moves into array, if cache frees up move back onto cache
  • Only = no array storage, mover is disabled for the share
  • No = no cache storage, mover is disabled for the share

Setting it to No, will not move the files out of your cache because the mover is (effectively) disabled for that share.

"Prefer" is a relatively complex operation that is in the "do it if you know what you are doing" category.

If you are not sure, please ask questions and not try to fix it without guidance.

Thanks so much for replying.

OK Array is started this time with the docker and vm's turned off.

I'm not sure the best way to copy some data off the cache though, Do I just use MC to copy some large files back to their correct locations? eg from cache drive /mnt/cache/Media/TV Shows to the equivalent place on the array?

Or is there a better way?

14 hours ago, testdasi said:
  • Yes = store in cache first, mover always moves out of cache into array
  • Prefer = always store in cache, unless cache full then mover moves into array, if cache frees up move back onto cache
  • Only = no array storage, mover is disabled for the share
  • No = no cache storage, mover is disabled for the share

I've got to say, this is far more clear, concise, and easy to understand than the help text in the GUI. 

Array is all working properly.

Right, onto replacing the cache drive. I'm following the guide you linked for replacing a single drive when you do not have a spare 

I've turned off dockers and vm's and set appdata, domains and system to "Yes" from "prefer" and run the mover.

However in the cache there is still a folder "System" containing "Docker" and "Libvert" folders.

when I rerun mover it leaves them there.

In that guide it says the cache drive should be empty.... how do I get it to move the last few files across to the array so I can replace the cache drive?

18 minutes ago, JBanner said:

I've turned off dockers and vm's and set appdata, domains and system to "Yes" from "prefer" and run the mover.

However in the cache there is still a folder "System" containing "Docker" and "Libvert" folders.

Did you actually disable the Docker and VM services?   If they are enabled they will lock some files even if you have no actively running VMs or docker containers.

Just now, JBanner said:

I just looked at the files, and there is libvert and docker.img sat on the array disk 4 with a date of 6 July.... so would those be the best to rename?

That would be even better if those are the oldest then they aren't being used and are just in the way of getting those you want to keep moved from cache.