Asrock X370 or X470 Taichi for AMD ​Ryzen 5, 3600

Hello!

I would like to built my new unraid and need your advice for cpu + mobo that will work without any problems.

I heard some problems with X370 motherboards (needs firmware update) and the AMD 3000 cpu series but dont know, if this was a problem of the first batch of the X370.

Should i go for the Asrock X370 Taichi + AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

Is it trouble free?

only things that i want the Taichi X370 is that it has 10 port SATA.

Edited by volume
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I know I'm a few weeks late, but thought I would give my two cents.

I can't speak to the x370, but I'm having a good experience with the x470. The power delivery is great and should support an eventual upgrade to even a 3950x.

Mostly everything has worked right out of the box aside from a couple quirks. One quirk is that you should make sure you're running the right bios version if you're going to be doing any IOMMU passthrough. I would recommend bios version P2.0 for Ryzen 1000 or 2000, or P3.77 (beta) for Ryzen 3000. You'll also be limited to passing through the top NVMe slot and top two pcie x16 slots. I've also had good luck passing through one of the onboard USB controllers.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi, 

I am looking at the 470 taichi for my 3600x and have a couple of questions if that's ok? 

1, what if the board comes with a lower bios that will not even boot with the 3600x

2, does it boot headless? I just bought a MSI MPG X570 and it is not headless so will not boot without a GPU so as I cannot afford to lose 1 of the 2 slots I am returning it.

Thanks!