Suddenly can't access tower.local and IP

vurt

Hi everyone, I'm very stressed out. All of a sudden I came home to my unRAID and can't access the GUI. I don't have a monitor nor keyboard attached. I can use HDMI to connect it to my TV for display but I'll need to figure out what to use for a keyboard.

Anyway, I looked at my router's device list and I can see:

IPv4 Address / Name  192.168.1.252 / Tower

I can ping the IP and tower.local. But entering the IP or tower.local into my browser gives me nothing.

This has been working fine till today.

On a whim I connected my unRAID box to my old router and looking at the device list, it's reporting the same IP, but instead of showing "Tower" as the name, it's showing "GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO LTD"—that's new.

What could be wrong??

Bear with me, I'm quite a noob when it comes to the CLI.

I'm using a Mac. In Terminal, I entered "ssh 192.168.1.252" and I also tried "ssh [email protected]" but I'm getting this:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.252 port 22: Connection refused

This doesn't require port 22 to be opened or forwarded does it, since it's on the internal network.

Edited by vurt
3 minutes ago, vurt said:

My router is showing 192.168.1.252 for unRAID. And I had also assigned it that static IP.

Connect a local monitor and keyboard to your server.

From the command line type

diagnostics

This saves a diagnostics file in the logs folder on your USB device. Attach this file in your next post.

10 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Connect a local monitor and keyboard to your server.

From the command line type

diagnostics

This saves a diagnostics file in the logs folder on your USB device. Attach this file in your next post.

I need to find myself a keyboard. But in the mean time, I connected it to my TV and everything appears fine. I can see:

UNRAID Server OS version: 6.7.0
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.252
IPv6 address: not set

And what looks like it's asking for a user login (my TV's display cut off the edges of the words).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, bonienl said:

We need diagnostics to see what really happens

Hi there, I've attached the diagnostics zip file.

The other odd thing is I received two email notifications from my unRAID box last night for v6.8 and I think a new version of community applications. So something is still working, I just can't access it at all via its IP or http://tower.local. I can also ping the IP.

tower-diagnostics-20191229-1453.zip

Hmmm ok ... how would I troubleshoot the bond0 config? I've never had to set that up before.

If the bond0 config is not right (I don't know anything about this bond0 thing but it sounds Ethernet-related), I shouldn't be able to ping it?

The log seems to indicate SSH is fine, but I can't SSH in from Terminal.

This is really bizarre and perplexing. The box is clearly functioning.

3 minutes ago, vurt said:

Hmmm ok ... how would I troubleshoot the bond0 config? I've never had to set that up before.

It is disabled by default. 

15 minutes ago, vurt said:

If the bond0 config is not right (I don't know anything about this bond0 thing but it sounds Ethernet-related), I shouldn't be able to ping it?

Logic says yes, but bonding introduces lots of room for problems if its not configured properly.

I had to help a friend troubleshoot their UnRAID server the other day and we had to use the unraid-gui boot option to actually be able to login to the web interface and see what network setting was preventing his server from working properly. You might give this a try.

16 minutes ago, TQ said:

I had to help a friend troubleshoot their UnRAID server the other day and we had to use the unraid-gui boot option to actually be able to login to the web interface and see what network setting was preventing his server from working properly. You might give this a try.

Ok, I booted into unraid-gui and it looks like all my array config is gone! This is insane. The box had been working fine, didn't do anything to it; came home one day and couldn't access it.

I'm attaching a picture of the screen I took with my cellphone.

How to salvage this?!?!?!?! Can I simply reassign the disks and hope everything will work? The problem is I don't remember which hdd is assigned to Disk 1, 2, 3, etc besides the obvious SSD used for Cache.

IMG_20191229_172517.jpg

Edited by vurt

Try putting flash in your PC and let it checkdisk. That may not get your disk assignments back, but it might fix something.

While you have it in your PC, make a backup. You should always have a current backup of flash. All of your settings you made in the webUI are stored in the config folder on flash. As long as you have that, you can always restore that config folder to a new install and you will be going again. Any time you make any significant changes to your settings you should get a backup of flash. This is especially important if you make any changes to disk assignments (add, replace, remove).

You can always download a zipped copy of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup.

After you get that backup made on your PC, try again, and if necessary, reassign disks.

Just now, vurt said:

Even though the disks aren't assigned, this doesn't explain why I can't access the web gui? I've been searching the forums about missing array assignment and it looks like people are still able to access the web gui.

That photo you took in GUI mode is actually the webUI, but on the "localhost" it is able to access it with the "loopback" IP 127.0.0.1

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

That photo you took in GUI mode is actually the webUI, but on the "localhost" it is able to access it with the "loopback" IP 127.0.0.1

That's cos I booted into unraid-gui at bootup as @TQ suggested. What started all this is because I can't access the gui at 192.168.1.252 nor tower.local.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Try putting flash in your PC and let it checkdisk. That may not get your disk assignments back, but it might fix something.

While you have it in your PC, make a backup. You should always have a current backup of flash. All of your settings you made in the webUI are stored in the config folder on flash. As long as you have that, you can always restore that config folder to a new install and you will be going again. Any time you make any significant changes to your settings you should get a backup of flash. This is especially important if you make any changes to disk assignments (add, replace, remove).

You can always download a zipped copy of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup.

After you get that backup made on your PC, try again, and if necessary, reassign disks.

I'm using a Mac so I will use Disk Utility's Verify function to do the checkdisk equivalent.

Since I know which disks are assigned to what, is it then safe to start up the array after reassigning them with the gui?

Thanks so much for everything, this is the furthest I've gotten with this.

Edited by vurt

Nope, started the array, got an email notification for "parity sync / data rebuild started" but I STILL CAN'T ACCESS the IP and tower.local.

With the array started, I can access all the Shares.

I just received an email notification that Template URLs are missing:

**** Template URL for docker application EmbyServer is missing. **** **** Template URL for docker application Rclone is missing. **** **** Template URL for docker application speedtest is missing. **** 

So what's going on??

Edited by vurt