(Solved) Kernel Panic after upgrade to 6.8 (stable)

pzycho

So my machine was running well and last night I saw there was a new stable build. I had to restart to change some CPU isolation configurations anyway, so figured might as well get things current.  Bad move... My system will no longer boot.  

I don't think it's UNRAID, however.  I'm getting this error during the boot sequence, which leads me to believe that it's a corrupted flash drive: 

Unpacking initramfs...
Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive

At this point it hangs and I have to hold the reset button to power off the system.  I'm running Memtest 86 right now, but seems to be fine.  

My question is, does this look like a flash drive problem? Also, I have a very old backup drive that's probably on version 5.xx (bought two licenses when I originally paid); would booting up this old flash drive be harmful for my system?

Thanks

Edited by pzycho
1 minute ago, pzycho said:

So my machine was running well and last night I saw there was a new stable build. I had to restart to change some CPU isolation configurations anyway, so figured might as well get things current.  Bad move... My system will no longer boot.  

I don't think it's UNRAID, however.  I'm getting this error during the boot sequence, which leads me to believe that it's a corrupted flash drive: 

Unpacking initramfs...
Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive

At this point it hangs and I have to hold the reset button to power off the system.  I'm running Memtest 86 right now, but seems to be fine.  

My question is, does this look like a flash drive problem? Also, I have a very old backup drive that's probably on version 5.xx (bought two licenses when I originally paid); would booting up this old flash drive be harmful for my system?

Thanks

That looks it could be a problem with one of the bz* type files on the flash drive.

i would suggest:

• plug the Flash drive into a PC/Mac and run a check on it.
  • download the zip file of the release from the Unraid site.
  • extract all the bz* type files overwriting the ones on the root of the flash drive.
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

That looks it could be a problem with one of the bz* type files on the flash drive.

i would suggest:

• plug the Flash drive into a PC/Mac and run a check on it.
  • download the zip file of the release from the Unraid site.
  • extract all the bz* type files overwriting the ones on the root of the flash drive.

I gave that a try but it didn't seem to work.  Instead I ended up backing up the config folder, using the USB utility to create a fresh 6.8 install on the drive, then replaced the config folder.  That seemed to solve the problem.  

Might be a ticking time bomb as the USB drive is now about 6.5 years old, but it was good enough to get it working for now.  Thanks for the help.  

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue with the error

Unpacking initramfs... Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive

I was able to boot to the 4GB unraid and rollback to prior to 6.8 version.

I had a 7 year old USB drive, and had gone from a non-UEFI machine to a UEFI machine.

Using the USB creator tool, copying the config directory worked well. Beware the old USB ticking time bomb.  Thank you Unraid and pzycho!

I had the same error today. It was caused by the same issue... My USB drive was from when I first started using unraid in 2008. I swapped it out with a newer drive using the unraid USB creator tool and then copied over my config folder. I did have to swap my license too.

I just got hit by this. I got a warning about a vulnerability and ran the update. Down goes server.

A) Why is this happening?

B) Tried manually updating since the Mac USB creator tool fails on Catalina. Again, why?

C) I don't have any spare USB drives lying around so what type am I supposed to buy now? Current one was the recommended version/brand from way back when.

D) Is it possible that this is caused by a BIOS configuration issue? Of course it was booting before this update so I don't know.