Boot fails post 6.8 upgrade w/"kernel panic" + new USB stick not booting

Hi all -- I just ran the 6.7.2 --> 6.8 upgrade, and need some help.

After the upgrade, I rebooted and got the following error:

Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

It's the same as in this post. I have the USB drive in my desktop where I've:

• already backed up recent diagnostic log (available if anyone thinks it's useful) , and
  • am currently backing up the config folder just in case (I also have been running backups in my Unraid)

So, 1st problem, how to get over above issue -- any ideas?

EDIT: Also -- I do see a "FSCK0000.REC" file at root of USB drive, so corruption of some sort seems likely. I'll ask running a chkdsk to my TODOs on this.

Second issue: Noticing in forum posts this error seems related to USB stick failure I downloaded the Unraid Flash Creator and tried creating for 6.8 with two different sticks (one unused metal USB 2.0, the other a new-ish 3.0) to boot my server. Both report back "this not a bootable disk". I've:

• made no changes to the BIOS, just confirmed it does see the sticks and has them at top of boot chain.
  • Tried rebuilding with "Allow UEFI Boot" on, and
  • Also tried the make_bootable.bat utility

None of these allow me to boot my server. I used a USB 2.0 port to create, it should be noted, and I plug these into  USB 2.0 ports on my server.

So, 2nd problem, how do I boot any USB stick other than the one that may have failed? After this post and copying off config I'll try making the stick on my Linux laptop with the Creator, and manually, and with older versions of Unraid.

Help? :)

Edited by raqisasim
Cleaned up title

Try recreating the flash drive manually:

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart
-list disk
-select disk x (x=your flash drive)
-clean
-create partition primary
-format fs=fat32 label=UNRAID quick
-active
-assign
-exit

-close cmd window
-Unzip Unraid release to flash drive and restore only the config folder from the flash backup
-execute make_bootable as admin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick note: above steps from johnnie.black have worked to create a new, bootable USB stack, so thank you!

For anyone else running into the USB Stick won't boot issue: The issue, for me, appears to be my desktop's Acronis Active Protection, which stops modifications of MBRs -- including on my USB stick. So check to see what anti-virus/malware software you're running.

In more detail: For whatever reason, Acronis' pop-up never appeared when I ran make_bootable via double-click (which I did via "Run as Admin"). However, since to do johnnie.black's steps  I already had a Admin Powershell open to run the diskpart commands, I used that same to run the unzip, and then make_bootable -- and at that run, I got the pop-up.

to fix: I temp turned off Protection, reran make_bootable, and now I have a stick that starts!

Next I will move over my backed-up config from my other USB stick, and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, raqisasim said:

Quick note: above steps from johnnie.black have worked to create a new, bootable USB stack, so thank you!

For anyone else running into the USB Stick won't boot issue: The issue, for me, appears to be my desktop's Acronis Active Protection, which stops modifications of MBRs -- including on my USB stick. So check to see what anti-virus/malware software you're running.

In more detail: For whatever reason, Acronis' pop-up never appeared when I ran make_bootable via double-click (which I did via "Run as Admin"). However, since to do johnnie.black's steps  I already had a Admin Powershell open to run the diskpart commands, I used that same to run the unzip, and then make_bootable -- and at that run, I got the pop-up.

to fix: I temp turned off Protection, reran make_bootable, and now I have a stick that starts!

Next I will move over my backed-up config from my other USB stick, and see how it goes.

Good luck!  Would love to see how it goes after restoring your backed up config...always wondered how well that worked in practice/ how easy it was

37 minutes ago, danull said:

Good luck!  Would love to see how it goes after restoring your backed up config...always wondered how well that worked in practice/ how easy it was

Pretty easy, it turns out. :)

I had already made a tarball of my config folder. So, when the new USB stick got created and confirmed to boot, I renamed it's config folder to config.old and copied over my original one from that tarball.

After that, I put in the request for a new key and started the Array. So far, looks good; just tried Dockers like Plex and my backup app successfully.

One note is that I did download 6.7.2 onto this new USB stick. I'll re-try upgrade to 6.8 once I have a chance to backup the new stick via the backup plugin.

If I was to summarize things to check around these issues:

• Run a through disk check against your current USB sitck
  • See if current USB stick has "FSCK" files; if so, it's likely failing
  • If trying a new stick, Check your anti-virus/anti-malware apps to ensure it won't impact making MBR changes required for the new stick to boot

And in general, Backup your USB Drive with the CA Backup / Restore Appdata plugin, just in case the USB has truly failed.

Edited by raqisasim
Clarify "key"
1 minute ago, raqisasim said:

And in general, Backup your USB Drive with the CA Backup / Restore Appdata plugin, just in case the USB has truly failed

I would also say that any time you make a significant configuration change (or just before an upgrade) you should click on the flash drive on the Main tab and select the option to make a backup from the resulting dialog so that you have a backup that is off the Unraid server.  

Maybe there should be an option to automatically generate such a backup as part of the upgrade process?

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 12:39 AM, johnnie.black said:

Try recreating the flash drive manually:

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart
-list disk
-select disk x (x=your flash drive)
-clean
-create partition primary
-format fs=fat32 label=UNRAID quick
-active
-assign
-exit

-close cmd window
-Unzip Unraid release to flash drive and restore only the config folder from the flash backup
-execute make_bootable as admin

My Sandisk Ultra fit failed today and I remembered this thread from December.   I had to use this method of johnnie's to get mine to work without it panicing on Urnaid boot.   The creator tool claimed it had been successful in building things from a Flash backup and everything - but nooooo.  Thanks!