Setting Up WireGuard® on Unraid

• 3 weeks later...

Hey T0rq, I was playing with this yesterday as a secondary way into home network; currently depend on OpenVPN on PFSense. No matter what I did every time I imported the WireGuard config(s)(tunnel or client) I to iOS app it said something about not being a valid configuration.  I followed your guide, to a T, I think, three different times and no dice. Any ideas?

Also, only thing I wasn’t sure of was whether I had Port Forward in PfSense set right. It was asking something about to NAT traffic or not; yes was forwarding the 51820 to Unraids IP. Is their anyway you could provide more specific details on the Pfsense specific portion of WireGuard setup since PFsense seems to be so widely used? Pic of your actual configuration page for it or anything so I can assure myself that my idiocracy wasn’t at fault? Still not sure why WireGuard app on iPhone kept saying not complete or valid configuration though??? 

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the excellent guide. Indeed I was up and running within minutes. Sorry if this is really a stupid question, but I am pretty clueless! I've set up Wireguard exactly as per the guide as type "Remote tunneled access". It's working, and I can connect in remotely and access hosts on my LAN. However my internet access doesn't work from my client devices while I'm connected to the VPN. Is there a setting somewhere I've missed or something I need to do? My Unraid server has internet access locally at least, so not sure why it doesn't work when I'm connected via VPN.

I have a hunch that this might be something to do with "local tunnel network pool" and adding a static route somewhere, as in the advanced settings it says "Remark: docker containers on custom networks need static routing 10.253.0.0/24 to 10.10.10.5" which are my tunnel pool and server IP respectively. But I don't know how or where to do this.

Thanks a lot for your help.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:35 PM, DANgerous25 said:

Thanks for the excellent guide. Indeed I was up and running within minutes. Sorry if this is really a stupid question, but I am pretty clueless! I've set up Wireguard exactly as per the guide as type "Remote tunneled access". It's working, and I can connect in remotely and access hosts on my LAN. However my internet access doesn't work from my client devices while I'm connected to the VPN. Is there a setting somewhere I've missed or something I need to do? My Unraid server has internet access locally at least, so not sure why it doesn't work when I'm connected via VPN.

I have a hunch that this might be something to do with "local tunnel network pool" and adding a static route somewhere, as in the advanced settings it says "Remark: docker containers on custom networks need static routing 10.253.0.0/24 to 10.10.10.5" which are my tunnel pool and server IP respectively. But I don't know how or where to do this.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I solved this myself by adding a "Peer DNS server" [like google DNS] in the advanced config. For some reason local DNS forwarding just doesn't work with my setup.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I got this configured and I can connect to it as a Remote Tunneled access connection. I get internet but I'm not seeing any of the Lan devices. also when I try to load my local unraid url it says content can't be found. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Im using the latest version of macOS Catalina are there any special things I need to do for this? Any help would be appreciated!

12 hours ago, wesmagyar said:

Ok, I got this configured and I can connect to it as a Remote Tunneled access connection. I get internet but I'm not seeing any of the Lan devices. also when I try to load my local unraid url it says content can't be found. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Im using the latest version of macOS Catalina are there any special things I need to do for this? Any help would be appreciated!

I'm running into the exact same issue. I can connect to my VPN, but no internet connection, nor can i see any of my other computers on the network.

Also, I tend to access my unraid dashboard by going to domain.local, but when I'm connected via VPN, how should I connect to my dashboard? Should domain.local still work? Or do I have to connect to it via IP? Am I supposed to use my internal IP address? or the new IP address range that is being assigned via VPN? (I tried both, but nothing is working -- which is why I'm posting about this in the first place).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 11:18 PM, HoLyCoW said:

I'm running into the exact same issue. I can connect to my VPN, but no internet connection, nor can i see any of my other computers on the network.

Also, I tend to access my unraid dashboard by going to domain.local, but when I'm connected via VPN, how should I connect to my dashboard? Should domain.local still work? Or do I have to connect to it via IP? Am I supposed to use my internal IP address? or the new IP address range that is being assigned via VPN? (I tried both, but nothing is working -- which is why I'm posting about this in the first place).

+1 for this issue on macOS.  I successfully configured WireGuard and tested it using an LTE hotspot:  WireGuard registers a "handshake" as well as sent/received packets, but I cannot see any devices on the LAN or point my browser to the the web GUI at UNRAID.local or 192.168.xx.xx (or the newly assigned range).

Any suggestions?

*** EDIT ***

I also ran into configuration issues with WireGuard on pi-VPN, so, I set up an openVPN server with pi-VPN and that has worked perfectly.  Ideally, I would be able to run WireGuard from Unraid, so I will keep working on this problem.

Edited by TheBoxagon
Additional information.
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, after I re-installed unraid and putting the same config file into my wireguard I cannot access my LAN, however I can access unraid SMB through my phone but not my laptop running windows 10. I can only access unraid on my laptop nothing more.

Before I could access my whole LAN network 192.168.1.x even my router which is on .1 but now I can do so little.
I followed the exact getting started guide. 

6 hours ago, Marcjwebb said:

Please send help. Wireguard is all set up, using the wireguard client on my mac i can connect to my unraid, and that works fine. but i have no internet at all, just the access to my nas. please help as at a loss now and have tried everything

Which option did you choose when setting up WireGuard?

Is the network you are connecting FROM on a different subnet to 192.168.0.x ?   If not that might explain why you are having problems as you could be picking up the wrong DNS server.    I have deliberately set my home subnet to not be on the 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x subnets as these are frequently encountered on the client end.      You might be better off specifying something like 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server.

Just now, itimpi said:

Is the network you are connecting FROM on a different subnet to 192.168.0.x ?   If not that might explain why you are having problems as you could be picking up the wrong DNS server.    I have deliberately set my home subnet to not be on the 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x subnets as these are frequently encountered on the client end.      You might be better off specifying something like 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server.

ok brill, I shall give this a go, although part of me feels that a lot of people will also use the 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 so wouldn't this result in the same behavior

14 minutes ago, itimpi said:

not sure how to do this or check, still learning as I go through my trial period to get everything set up 

Iv set this up. I added the dns that the unraid server is on (remote) and also tried 8.8.8.8. I get access to everything but the local lan im on atm. Any idea? If I dont have a dns listed, I only get access the the remote lan....no internet.

preferably , I just want access the lan. I dont care about all my internet traffic going through it

Edited by mkono87
  • 4 weeks later...