[Solved] How do I re-enable the previous drive?

Hello, I've been an unraid user for a long time.  I'm still on v5.0.5 .. I know I should update but the system has been working fine for the past many years.

Anyways, I recently had a reported disk failure and so I replace it with a new disk of the same size.  I've done this a many times in the past and it has never given me an issue.   Unfortunately, I found out later that it was the disk controller card that went bad and not the disk as several disks suddenly started intermittently reporting as bad or missing during the parity rebuild.   It also appears that my parity disk got invalidated as well in my effort to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

So as a result I ended up with invalid parity and now a bad drive (because the rebuild never finished successfully on the new drive).  Fast Forward a week and I install a new controller.   I also insert the old disk (#9) which is still functioning fine and only reported as bad because of the faulty controller.   Is there any way to make the old disk "valid" because the array hasn't been used and then just rebuild the parity as it is now?

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.7a33aca59b386868b86e0e8df354a8ee.jpg

--mike

Edited by leemik
solved

I didn't want to rebuild disk #9,

I just wanted to rebuild the parity with the old disk #9 re-inserted

so i just needed #9 to say it was the right disk without any rebuild of #9.

I think I found the solution.  "New Config" under "utils" seemed to do the trick.  It reset the disk config completely but didn't erase the data on any disks.  I was able to configure the disks back in the same order because I took a screenshot and now the parity is rebuilding with no data loss.

thanks for the reply though

rebuilding parity..and all the sizes look correct *sigh of relief*

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.9c11a0001488b9c6e5d02683847b07ff.jpg

--mike

Net time frame is the same.

My philosophy is that since the only time a disk gets disabled is when a write to it fails.  At that point, the write gets reflected in the parity system.  Because of that, as far as I'm concerned, the data on the drive is technically invalid since it was never updated to reflect that write, but since parity was, you're better off rebuilding the drive itself instead of doing a new config and rebuilding parity.

The write itself though may have been meaningless, so you're probably ok...