changing file system to xFS

rcrh

My server is old enough that its default file system is still RieserFS.  I want to go through a process of upgrading to xFS.  I've gone through the wiki and it walks me through the steps of formating a new drive, moving data to create an empty RieserFS drive and then reformating that one.  But, I'm wonder when I should change the DEFAULT FS for the system.  If I do that at the start of this process will it impact any of the existing drives?

I don't want to accidentally trigger a process that wipes out data on existing RieserFS drives.

Thanks.

Changing the default type doesn't effect any existing, only new additions. I'd set it now, before you start the migration.

Just be sure that every time you accept the prompt to format a drive, that it is indeed the only drive listed as unmountable, and it's the drive that has a full copy performed.

BTW, I don't know exactly which procedure you are following, but copying instead of moving is much faster for a couple reasons, plus you can do a verify before you proceed to nuke the source ReiserFS drive.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Changing the default type doesn't effect any existing, only new additions. I'd set it now, before you start the migration.

Just be sure that every time you accept the prompt to format a drive, that it is indeed the only drive listed as unmountable, and it's the drive that has a full copy performed.

BTW, I don't know exactly which procedure you are following, but copying instead of moving is much faster for a couple reasons, plus you can do a verify before you proceed to nuke the source ReiserFS drive.

Here is what I was looking at.  Part way down is a section on "changing file systems"

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#File_System_Management

What does the second part of your second point mean?  ".. and it's the drive that has a full copy performed"?

Finally, copying and verifying makes a lot more sense then moving.  Thanks for that point.

39 minutes ago, rcrh said:

What does the second part of your second point mean?  ".. and it's the drive that has a full copy performed"?

The drive which has its file system changed, will show up unmountable. You should have copied all its contents prior to this, because the next step is to format this disk and all its content will be lost.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, jonathanm said:

Still working through the process.  I finished my first copy using MC but I'm not sure how to do a verify.  

Got another hint?

Thanks!