IPv4 Not Set

Running a Supermicro X9DRH-7F Rev 1.02 and have tried unRAID 6.7.2 and 6.8 with UEFI boot enabled. Previously I was getting no boot. Now that I have switched to UEFI boot enable I get the initial unRAID boot screen, but no IPv4. Switched the config file from Bonding "yes" to Bonding "no" and got a IPv4 address, but it takes too long when connecting and times out.

Tried to follow some other threads I found, but no luck.

Left DHCP and Bridging on, turned off bonding. Gave me an IPv4 to use, but it times out.

The odd part is, I had it working last night, and now I have no idea why it is not working. Also, the IPv4 from the server is 169.xxx.xx.xxx while my other working server is 192.xxx.xx.xxx

Edit: I'm running a Deco M5 system throughout my house as I've got a lot of space to cover. Point is, within the TP-Link app it shows the Super Micro Computer (the system motherboard I am having issues with) as having a 192.xxx.xx.xxx IPv4 address.

tower2-diagnostics-20191215-1439.zip

Edited by Brassleaves
Additonal Info

The 169.XXX.XXX.XXX IP address indicates that the server could not (otherwise) get a valid IP address.  From what I can see in the syslog, Unraid did not detect any network controllers.  According to the spec that I found, that MB has two onboard network ports with an Intel network controller chip.  I would suggest that you check in the BIOS and make sure that they have not been disabled.

If that does not provide a solution, give us a history of that MB.  Is it new? used?  did you use it successfully in other setup? 

Checked in the BIOS and I don't even know that I have the option of disabling them. Going to switch bonding back on and see what I can get to happen.

I bought the board from a reliable YouTuber and eBay seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X9DRH-7F-Rev-1-02-v2-CPU-TESTED-IT-mode-LSI-SAS2308-firmware-for-ZFS/163909938664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This is the only setup I have tried using it on, mostly because the only other build I have cannot fit the board. Sorry for the newb question: what is the file directory to see the results of any network activity? I rummaged around the report and couldn't seem to find the right file.

I was looking at the syslog looking to find an indication that the Unraid Linux installer has detected any network devices and installed the drivers for these device. I did not find any indication that it did.  I also looked for and at the ifconfig.txt and ethtool.txt files both of these files are in the system folder of the Diagnostics file. 

Here is the site I found about your MB.   I have done a screen capture of  a portion of the spec's.  Note what it says about the Network Controllers.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRH-7F.cfm

image.png.6a56914018778659a90caa8fe6bc1d10.png

I might want to contact the vendor and see what he says.  You might also want to download the MB manual and read it.  Most MB's allow you to disable and onboard controllers as folks sometimes want to use different ones. 

image.png

What do you mean by disabling the onboard controllers? Does that mean the MBs operating system will no longer be in control so that the unRAID OS can do what it needs to?

I have access to the motherboard through a web GUI using the motherboards IPv4 as it shows on my network. Is it possibly interfering by "using up" the ability to connect to the network so unRAID is unable to?

3 hours ago, Brassleaves said:

What do you mean by disabling the onboard controllers? Does that mean the MBs operating system will no longer be in control so that the unRAID OS can do what it needs to

Most BIOS have the numerous options to prevent any OS from 'seeing' on-board devices.  Obviously, these are 'on' for a new MB but yours is a used MB and you don't know how the previous owner wanted to use those ports or not.  He may have had a special plugin network board that better suited his requirements. . 

3 hours ago, Brassleaves said:

I have access to the motherboard through a web GUI using the motherboards IPv4 as it shows on my network. Is it possibly interfering by "using up" the ability to connect to the network so unRAID is unable to?

From my limited knowledge of server motherboards, this IPMI function is quite common.  I would suspect that the Network controller for this function is totally and completely unavailable for use by any OS.  If you look at the screen capture you will see that there is a Intel network controller that drives two other network ports on your MB.  You really need to download that manual and give it a read!!!

Edited by Frank1940

Combed over the BIOS again and I have no settings from what I can tell that allow me to change anything with the LAN ports.

The manual does say I can change a physical jumper around and disable LAN1/LAN2...but wouldn't that mean they are totally disabled to the point where unRAID will still not be able to access them? The manual does not say anything as to why disabling them would be needed.

Thank you for the help by the way, it is giving me some options to check out versus being completely lost.

5 minutes ago, Brassleaves said:

The manual does say I can change a physical jumper around and disable LAN1/LAN2...but wouldn't that mean they are totally disabled to the point where unRAID will still not be able to access them? The manual does not say anything as to why disabling them would be needed.

Absolutely, that is the whole purpose of disabling them.  To hide them from the OS!   The reason that one would do that would be obvious to the one who does it.  I will give you an example-- On-board audio.  When on-board audio was first introduced, the audio output sound terrible.  Many people purchased a high quality sound which much, much, much better!!!  Having two audio devices installed present many problems and conflicts.  Hence, the need to turn the on-board one off. 

Check that jumper and make sure that it is properly set to enable the ports.  If they are enabled, I would be contacting the vendor.  You may have a defective MB. 

So I tried disabling the LAN1/LAN2 ports by using the jumper and it did nothing other than kill the ports. I still don't understand the point of doing that. They were enabled before and the problem persisted even when switching DCHP, Bonding, and Bridging on and off in different orders.

As mentioned, the system was working for a bit last night, with no clear indication as to why there had been a change.

I am sorry.  I was not telling you to disable the Network controllers BUT to check to see that they were enabled.  (IF someone disables any on-board controller via the BIOS, it stays disabled!)  You want them enabled so that Unraid can find the network controller(s) and install the drivers.  I am seeing no evidence in the syslog that this is happening.  I am going to ping @bonienl as I recall that he is much more knowledgeable in this area. 

The source of your problem, as explained by @Frank1940 is that Unraid does NOT see any ethernet ports.

The IPMI is completely separate (isolated) and not available to Unraid anyway.

On my Supermicro board I have jumpers to disable or enable the LAN ports, but also settings in the BIOS to do the same.

I recommend you go into the BIOS and load the DEFAULT settings, this ensures everything begins with a good (known) settings point.

I'm having similar issues. I created a similar support topic but I'm not getting as much attention as you so I figured I'd try to consolidate here. My post:

Another very similar issue that has been posted recently:

The one thing we all have in common is that we have Supermicro motherboards. 

2 hours ago, coolspot said:

SuperMicro with LACP LAG stopped working with 6.8.0 upgrade in non-GUI mode. In GUI mode I'm able to get an IP address.

Very odd.

6.7.2 and older had no networking issues with LACP. I'm using a SuperMicro X10-SLF7 which has IMPI, but I believe it's on a dedicated port.

This would explain a lot, including why it it worked briefly and then didn't the next morning. When I got the system working I had tried to boot it with 6.7.2 and then updated it to 6.8 before shutting it down for the night.

Is it a problem that is on the fit it list?

On 12/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, Frank1940 said:

One thing to try.  Rename (in the   config   folder)  network.cfg   to network.cfg.old     Now restart the server.  You will probably have to shut the server down and do the rename on a PC (or use the command line, if you are comfortable with it).

Does this reset the networking back to default? 

I'll give it a try over the holidays.