Upgraded to 6.8.0: Cannot get IP

tmchow

I just upgraded to 6.8.0 and when server rebooted it can no longer get an IP. It’s listed as the dreaded 169.254.173.250.  I get all the way to login prompt and can login.

I have a monitor and keyboard connected to the server but can not access web GUI obviously. 

I’ve double checked cables and there is an active link to my switch so it’s not the cables. Lights are lit on both the server NIC and my switch. 

help?

Update: I've attached logs.

tower-diagnostics-20191214-1413.zip

Edited by tmchow
Run from your attached monitor / keyboard
diagnostics

This saves a zip file in the /logs folder on your USB stick.
When finished power down your system and take out the USB stick. Post the zip file.

Oh man what a pain. My usb stick is inside the case and it’s rackmounted. I’ll get it done.... later tonight

For some reason the connection (eth0) went down while the system was trying to obtain an IP address.

You can try to start again, and see if this time an address is obtained (there is no settings errors or other)

If not successful, try from monitor + keyboard

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0_restart

Another (preferred) approach is to set a fixed address instead of DHCP.

4 minutes ago, bonienl said:

For some reason the connection (eth0) went down while the system was trying to obtain an IP address.

You can try to start again, and see if this time an address is obtained (there is no settings errors or other)

If not successful, try from monitor + keyboard

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0_restart

Another (preferred) approach is to set a fixed address instead of DHCP.

I restarted after the first reboot post-6.8.0 install and then subsequently powered down to pull the USB key.  I've attached the diagnostics that were created as part of that shutdown in case that helps.

I'll try the command you recommended to see if that solves anything.

Regarding your suggestion to set a fixed address, which file do I edit to specify a fixed IP?

tower-diagnostics-20191214-1414.zip

On your USB stick: /config/network.cfg
For example (change addresses to your need)
USE_DHCP[0]="no"IPADDR[0]="10.0.0.2"NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"GATEWAY[0]="10.0.0.1"DNS_SERVER1="1.1.1.1"DNS_SERVER2="1.0.0.1"

Ok I ran the eth0 restart command and that got me an IP! Not sure what’s going on and why I can’t get an IP during boot.

I’ll set it to fixed Ip like you suggested.