What is a normal 10Gbit temperature?

TJOPTJOP

Hi all,

I run UNRAID on a SuperMicro motherboard with double build in 10 Gigabit network adapter. I have no idea what a normal temperature is for a network adapter but I think that my temperature is really high (between 69 and 75 degrees). I this normal? anyone having experience with temperatures of onboard network adapters?

I build my board in a blade case with a lot of fans in the front, so there must be enough airflow, you would say. If the server is doing nothing the temperatures are around 55 degrees.

• 1 year later...

This helps. Thanks.

I just built an AMD Epyc, Supermicro H12-SSL Server.  I use the excellent Ultimate UNRAID Dashboard - Version 1.5 which shows my 10gb nic running ~68 Celsius all the time.  I don't push it hard (yet) so i'd image it will get warmer.

image.thumb.png.2ff1d74ced0045fd4f77550ab7f30f7e.png

(I think) It has a heat sink on it (under the PCI-E cards) from Supermicro - https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/H12SSL-ct.  So short of rigging up some sort of additional airflow (It's in a used CSE-846, i'm guessing it's "normal". 

image.png.e737b9a4501b1cf881bb64fd6720a7aa.png 

Welcome thoughts/feedback/suggestions!

Edited by KRK
23 minutes ago, KRK said:

So short of rigging up some sort of additional airflow

Keep in mind many (most?) server grade boards assume a high level of airflow that rack mount cases provide. Desktop cases are mostly designed around noise levels, so you very well may want to arrange some ducting or add a circulation fan so the factory heatsinks get a constant airflow.

• 1 year later...

I have 3 x540 and a noctua fan in line they run "hot" but how can I see the real temperature from unraid?

The max power consumption according to specs is 19 watts but any idea what is the normal consumption when running at low speeds or idle?

It's possible to tune up any parameter to improve the consumption?

• Upvote 1