VT-d enabled but IOMMU disabled, vm manger not disabling (Solved)

Max

So guys recently i bought a new laptop and ever since i was thinking about turning my gaming pc into my unraid nas (i already have unraid nas just upgrading it to my gaming pc).

Specs of my Gaming PC

Mobo z97d3h gigabyte

CPU i7 4790k

RAM 16 gigs 

GPU gtx 1070ti

everything went fine its just that when i checked info it is still showing IOMMU disabled which was fine for my old nas as it was running off of some crappy h61 board g2020 and 4 gigs of ram but i don't know why its still showing disabled. are their any setting in unraid itself to enable it cause as far as bios, it is enabled in the bios, i have double checked it.

please help me figuring this out.

• Max changed the title to VT-d enabled but IOMMU disabled, vm manger not disabling

okay i noticed another strange thing now, as i was adding cache drives to my server i that vm manager is not disabling (saw in spaceinvader's video that we have to disable dockers and vm manger before starting mover in order to transfer docker and libvert imge files to cache drive).

Nothing happens when i select no from dropdown menu and click on apply.

i have tried different browsers on different devices same thing happening on all devices.

17 hours ago, Max said:

okay i noticed another strange thing now, as i was adding cache drives to my server i that vm manager is not disabling (saw in spaceinvader's video that we have to disable dockers and vm manger before starting mover in order to transfer docker and libvert imge files to cache drive).

Nothing happens when i select no from dropdown menu and click on apply.

i have tried different browsers on different devices same thing happening on all devices.

Easiest solution: disable it after a fresh reboot.

59 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Easiest solution: disable it after a fresh reboot.

reboot didn't help but then i tried disabling it after stopping my array and it work. looks like we can only enable or disable vm manager when array is not running, which i didn't know about.

any suggestions for IOMMU issue.

1 hour ago, Max said:

reboot didn't help but then i tried disabling it after stopping my array and it work. looks like we can only enable or disable vm manager when array is not running, which i didn't know about.

any suggestions for IOMMU issue.

Changing IOMMU is done in the BIOS. Unraid doesn't have access to your mobo BIOS to change it.

If you are 100% sure it is on in your BIOS (Enable / On is different from "Auto". VT-d is different from VT-x) then check your syslinux to see if you might have disabled it in the past manually.

22 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Changing IOMMU is done in the BIOS. Unraid doesn't have access to your mobo BIOS to change it.

If you are 100% sure it is on in your BIOS (Enable / On is different from "Auto". VT-d is different from VT-x) then check your syslinux to see if you might have disabled it in the past manually.

as you can see in this pic both vt-x and vt-d are enabled and could u explain steps for syslinux.

P_20191217_184603.jpg

@itimpi and actually as far as i remember, two years back when unraid was still under testing phase for me, when i was it in trial mode i also tested it on this machine. As far as i remember at that time IOMMU was showing up as enabled, so dont why when finally i moved to this, its not working.

2 hours ago, Max said:

@itimpi and actually as far as i remember, two years back when unraid was still under testing phase for me, when i was it in trial mode i also tested it on this machine. As far as i remember at that time IOMMU was showing up as enabled, so dont why when finally i moved to this, its not working.

This is very strange. First time I see this problem.

If you think it worked 2 years ago then perhaps give older versions of Unraid a try to hopefully identify when things changed.

It can still be downloaded directly from Unraid using the URL e.g.

For 6.5.3 it's

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.5.3-x86_64.zip

i.e. you just need to replace the version number.

2 years ago, probably is around 6.3.0 - 6.4.0

I highly recommend you backup your current USB stick + config before doing anything. Just in case. (or alternatively use a different USB stick).

And don't set the array to auto start. You can check IOMMU without needing to start the array (i.e. to avoid unexpected issues).

Edited by testdasi
  • Max changed the title to VT-d enabled but IOMMU disabled, vm manger not disabling (Solved)