Unraid good for me ?

Keichi

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of building a RAID for long time, and during my search, i discover UNRAID.

So, i subscribe here to ask you for some help.

I know how to use a computer (i am a web dev and did a lot of VM and everything) but i am like a noob regarding NAS :-)

Right now, the main purpose of the NAS will be data storage, doing a lot of filmmaking.

If i can build something strong enough to edit directly from the NAS it will be better (i have a 10 Gb ethernet computer), but not mandatory.

For the unknown part, if i can encode some video on the NAS, it would be better too, but not mandatory.

I try to build something cheap, but evolutive.

So my idea was to buy a cheap 12 HDD rack 2U (even if I don't have a locker to store it in), add essential hardware (motherboard, cpu, ram, alim) and for the hard drives :

- reuse my old 2"5 hard drives (3x4To, 3x2To, 3x1To)

- buy two 10 To WD RED for parity

- buy two 256Go SSD for cache and cache protection

That way, i can wait for the 2"5 HDD to fail and replace it with 10To NAS drive later.

Didi it seems good for you ?

Thanks !

3 hours ago, Keichi said:

That way, i can wait for the 2"5 HDD to fail and replace it with 10To NAS drive later.

Be careful with that way of thinking. Unraid uses all parity protected array drives to rebuild a failed drive, so the health of all array drives is critical. Don't include any questionable drives in the array. If a drive starts to show signs of failure, it needs to be replaced ASAP, in case one of your other drives decides to fail without warning.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Thanks for the reply jonathanm.

I use a SMART check software on my computer, so right now, all 2"5 drives seems to be fine.

But in my head, it is better to use 3"5 NAS HDD, that's why i talked about drive failure. But it is not planned, all my 2"5 drive are good and used only at home, carefully manipulated.

And that is also why i want to buy new 2x 3"5 NAS HDD for the parity, so normally, they won't failed.

I think, right now, the more important is to invest in big / good quality parity disk, and reuse my drives, then update the data drive one by one.

Seems good to you ?

Thanks !