Can't copy Files from Win10 to unraid but from unraid to Win10 (?)

Hi folks,

have a fresh install of Win 10 PRO (1909) on my Machine and now i can't copy files to unraid.

I read something about SMB-Versions but i am not an expert...

Strange Thing: I can copy files FROM unraid to Windows 10 - lol?

I have tested this over both NICs and both can copy files FROM unraid to Windows 10 BUT NOT TO unraid...

Edited by Zonediver
16 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Hi folks,

have a fresh install of Win 10 PRO (1909) on my Machine and now i can't copy files to unraid.

I read something about SMB-Versions but i am not an expert...

Strange Thing: I can copy files FROM unraid to Windows 10 - lol?

I have tested this over both NICs and both can copy files FROM unraid to Windows 10 BUT NOT TO unraid...

As testdasi write it souns like the user only have read access to UNRAID, how is the access rights setup for the share and user in question?

16 hours ago, Zonediver said:

have a fresh install of Win 10 PRO (1909) on my Machine and now i can't copy files to unraid

You are also a Guinea Pig with Win10 ver 1909  and Unraid.  (Either you went looking for it or you were 'selected' to become an early adopter...)  So that may be another MS 'gotcha' that is inherent in it. 

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You are also a Guinea Pig with Win10 ver 1909  and Unraid.  (Either you went looking for it or you were 'selected' to become an early adopter...)  So that may be another MS 'gotcha' that is inherent in it. 

I used Win 7 and the support end is near - so whats the problem with 1909?

And by the way - who is a Guinea Pig?

Edited by Zonediver
21 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

It's not really a problem in itself.

1909 is generally not (yet) automatically rolled out to the general public. You either have to purposely look for it (e.g. my / your case) or are part of the Windows Insider programme (i.e. early adopters / testers).

Due to the bugginess of recent Windows major releases (which even had a major bug causing data loss to some users), some have said it's like Microsoft is experimenting on the brave ones who choose to have an early dip.

So 1909 may very well be fine (I personally haven't seen any issue) but the PR damage has been done, so to speak.

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

It's not really a problem in itself.

1909 is generally not (yet) automatically rolled out to the general public. You either have to purposely look for it (e.g. my / your case) or are part of the Windows Insider programme (i.e. early adopters / testers).

Due to the bugginess of recent Windows major releases (which even had a major bug causing data loss to some users), some have said it's like Microsoft is experimenting on the brave ones who choose to have an early dip.

So 1909 may very well be fine (I personally haven't seen any issue) but the PR damage has been done, so to speak.

Interesting... i downloaded Win10 Pro directly from the MS-Webpage and they offer 1909.

My TestPC got the 1909-update a week ago and on the machine of my son MS offered the update directly over the WindowsUpdate.

So it's available (here in Austria at least).

Edited by Zonediver
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

@testdasi, is right.  MS is been playing with SMB security throughout the WIN10 version upgrades and I thought they were near the end so I was not expecting any new SMB problems with 1909 but one never knows until someone upgrades to the new version.  Then, in the event something does not work, someone has to figure out what MS did this time and how to get around it.

However, you are also in a, perhaps, unique situation, You are completely new to WIN10 (as opposed to a simple upgrade from an earlier version).  You had best be prepared to work your way through this thread: 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

But again check the security of the share on Unraid and to see if WIN10 is automatically logging you onto the Unraid server (via Credential Manager).  Be sure to give us these details as there are a lot of gotchas to SMB and the biggest problem is usually figuring which one. 

7 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

But again check the security of the share on Unraid and to see if WIN10 is automatically logging you onto the Unraid server (via Credential Manager).  Be sure to give us these details as there are a lot of gotchas to SMB and the biggest problem is usually figuring which one. 

What i can say is this: I changed the security on unraid from private to public, but i cant copy files to the root-share (Movies and TV-Shows) as i could under win 7.

So there must be def. some changes on SMB...

56 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

but i cant copy files to the root-share (Movies and TV-Shows) as i could under win 7.

Strange.  What you are getting for an error message?  You can trying googling the error message but be aware that MS has 'genric' error messages when the error handler does not know what is wrong.  (Screenshot are often nice in these situations and WIN10 makes it really nice to get them by linking the clipboard to the PrtSc key.)

My tablet is on 1909 and it will copy to Unraid servers. And Unraid will copy to the tablet. The only thing I have done with my networking is set all my servers and computers to the same workgroup which I set as LOCAL. Dunno if that makes any dif but I have never had any problems . 

3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Ok - command back - this problem is still there... also with the Asus-driver... ☹️

Read carefully the next several posts in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

and think about if any of these might apply to your problem.  The fact that it came back/reappeared is a significant thing here.  Be sure to try using the IP address of the server and see what happens.  (I have always maintained that solving some SMB problems is more witchcraft than science.  Over the past couple years, I have observed that two folks will  have what appears to be the same problem will find two different solutions which fixes the problem.  But only one of the solutions will work for each of them.)   BTW, I would strongly suggest that you concentrate on looking at the Windows computer with the issue. 

One question.  Are you mapping a drive or simply using Windows explorer to go to the 'Network' and drilling down to the share? 

Be sure to check that you can write to a SMB share on one of your other computers.   

10 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Read carefully the next several posts in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

and think about if any of these might apply to your problem.  The fact that it came back/reappeared is a significant thing here.  Be sure to try using the IP address of the server and see what happens.  (I have always maintained that solving some SMB problems is more witchcraft than science.  Over the past couple years, I have observed that two folks will  have what appears to be the same problem will find two different solutions which fixes the problem.  But only one of the solutions will work for each of them.)   BTW, I would strongly suggest that you concentrate on looking at the Windows computer with the issue. 

One question.  Are you mapping a drive or simply using Windows explorer to go to the 'Network' and drilling down to the share? 

Be sure to check that you can write to a SMB share on one of your other computers.   

Hi Frank1940 and thanks for your reply.

Fist of all: My Problem has nothing to do with this prob described in your Link.

I try to explain what really happens (difficult):

I use mapped network addresses for my shares

\\10.10.10.250\Movies

\\10.10.10.250\TV-Serien

\\10.10.10.250\Cache

Win 10 starts the copy-process (Window comes up with this green graph), copies ~100MB or more to the share and then drops to Zero(!)

No Error, no nothing - the window with the green graph is still on the screen but nothing happens any more - like it hangs.

Only a reboot fix this error.

After the reboot all is working fine as there was never a problem... (lol).

I think its def. a Win 10 problem and has nothing to do with unraid (i think).

And now the most strangest thing: When i use the network environment (not the mapped addresses!), sometimes all is working fine, and sometimes it fails like i described... so there must be a ghost or a goblin in my machine ;-)

When i use the mapped addresses, it "always" fails at the first attempt - reboot - working... MS sucks!

My test-machine (also Win10 1909) with only one NIC can copy to all shares without a problem.

Maybe Win10 has a problem with 2 NICs like in my case or it is really a driver problem of the Asus XG-C100C... i don't know...

But the most annoing problem still persist: I cant copy files to the root folders of my shares "Movie, TV-Serien and Cache" - what the hell is this???

Attached is a screen of a copy process (20GB) in German (sorry ;-))

Win10 copied 32% (~7GB) and then stopped (0 Bytes/s)...

Win10 copy Error.jpg

Edited by Zonediver

Do you see the same behavior if you copy to an mapped drive on a different computer?  

Check with the MB manufacturer (or Computer manufacturer) to see if there is an updated network card/chip update (MS should be your last choice here!)  There have been issues like this in the past that were solved by network driver updates.  (I had one about three of four years ago that an update solved. It took me six weeks to finally figure that one out...)

You should probably google this problem (be sure to include 1909 as a search parameter) and see if you are not the only one with this issue.  (If it is wide spread, expect that there will be a lot of 'false' solutions.  As you have found, a reset/restart will fix it for a while...) 

And don't be surprised if it is suddenly fixed after an MS update.  Remember MS has been releasing 'half-baked' (semi-Beta) releases for several years now and using the early 'adopters' (usually Win10 Home users) as Beta testers.  Many Windows Gurus recommend to delay upgrading for four to six months (minimum) after the initial release. 

3 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Do you see the same behavior if you copy to an mapped drive on a different computer?  

Check with the MB manufacturer (or Computer manufacturer) to see if there is an updated network card/chip update (MS should be your last choice here!)  There have been issues like this in the past that were solved by network driver updates.  (I had one about three of four years ago that an update solved. It took me six weeks to finally figure that one out...)

You should probably google this problem (be sure to include 1909 as a search parameter) and see if you are not the only one with this issue.  (If it is wide spread, expect that there will be a lot of 'false' solutions.  As you have found, a reset/restart will fix it for a while...) 

And don't be surprised if it is suddenly fixed after an MS update.  Remember MS has been releasing 'half-baked' (semi-Beta) releases for several years now and using the early 'adopters' (usually Win10 Home users) as Beta testers.  Many Windows Gurus recommend to delay upgrading for four to six months (minimum) after the initial release. 

I know all this sh.. MS is doing...

I was not lucky to update to Win 10 because Win7 was working fine, but the support-end on 14.Jan is a problem...

Edited by Zonediver
13 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

I was not lucky to update to Win 10 because Win7 was working fine, but the support-end an 14.Jan is a problem...

I feel your pain.   Earlier this past spring, I got two new WIN10 Pro computers to replace two well-used WIN7 boxes in anticipation of the January event.  In my case, everything went relatively smoothly but I was aware of the problems.  I had everything working fine for about six months.  Then, suddenly, I could not see the other WIN10 computer (both ways).  I could see both of my Unraid servers.  Turned out that MS decided to change a setting which tuned on 'Password protected sharing' required that only people with an user account on the computer could see the computer. 

Edited by Frank1940