you need permission to perform this action

grither

Please help!  updated to latest unraid.  everything working EXCEPT for one mapped windows drive, mapped to a share called music.  anything i try to do gives me error 'destination folder access denied' and 'you need permission to perform this action'

I can access all other shares, but not this music folder.  ran new permissions over night, no help

diagnostics attached?

chimera-diagnostics-20191217-0523.zip

Go into your Diagnostics file and open up the 'shares' folder.  Open up both of the .cfg files that begin with "M".  Notice that the file whose base name ends with "c" has     public        misspelled in two places. 

Also, if you continue to compare both files and you will see that is more corruption in this file near the end of it.  You should make a backup copy of this file and edit it to look like the "a" file.  You can find these files on the boot drive in the   config/shares   folder/directory.

16 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Go into your Diagnostics file and open up the 'shares' folder.  Open up both of the .cfg files that begin with "M".  Notice that the file whose base name ends with "c" has     public        misspelled in two places. 

Also, if you continue to compare both files and you will see that is more corruption in this file near the end of it.  You should make a backup copy of this file and edit it to look like the "a" file.  You can find these files on the boot drive in the   config/shares   folder/directory.

wow you are amazing, great catch.  concerned about how that got corrupted, no idea, although this issue happened right after the upgrade to the latest version...

so I made a backup, edited the one in flash.  should I reboot?

having trouble getting this working.  I've edited the file a few times now, copied over to flash, confirmed changes were made, and rebooted.  file seems to be corrupted each time (in same way which seems odd)

I am considering making a new share for music, copying everything over, then deleting old share?

1 minute ago, grither said:

having trouble getting this working.  I've edited the file a few times now, copied over to flash, confirmed changes were made, and rebooted.  file seems to be corrupted each time (in same way which seems odd)

I am considering making a new share for music, copying everything over, then deleting old share?

One option is to simply delete the .cfg file for any given share and then reboot to get a new one generated with default settings.   If one of those regenerated files then gets corrupted I would suspect that you have a problem with your flash drive.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

One option is to simply delete the .cfg file for any given share and then reboot to get a new one generated with default settings.   If one of those regenerated files then gets corrupted I would suspect that you have a problem with your flash drive.

I might make a slight modification to this suggestion.  Rename the XXX.cfg to XXX.cfg.old. Then reboot.  This will assure that you use a new  block on the USB drive.

You may also have to shut the server down and do the operation in a PC.  (Recent changes to Unraid will not allow changes to the boot drive via SMB.)

2 minutes ago, grither said:

hey thanks for this.  I must be having a slow day, when I try to delete the file through windows, I am getting an error (unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the file).  tried with array on, and off, same error

should I try through the cmd prompt?  can't seem to find the file that way!

The enhanced security for the flash drive will not let you do it over the network!

If you do it from the command prompt then the files are located under /boot/config/shares

The other possibility is to plug the flash drive into a PC/Mac and remove/rename the files from there.

If it is not the USB stick corrupting the files then the only other thing that occurs to me is a RAM stick going bad.

Now be sure to make a backup of the boot drive.  You can do this from the   Main   tab.   Go to the Boot Device section/tab and click on "Flash" Under the 'DEVICE' column.  Look for the  Flash Device Settings  Tab and click on the 'FLASH BACKUP' button.

If your flash drive is flaky, having a current backup makes the  replacement process  so much easier.