Onsite/offsite hardware configuration

RadOD

I am in the planning stages of creating a home NAS and a complimentary offsite NAS - probably Unraid, but not tied to anything yet.  How should I be configuring the two systems differently?  I have yet to actually use unraid yet and I am trying to set this up as a properly the first time, hopefully, and not have to go back to make it secure.

The local system will be largely photo archive but I do some editing on some large file sets.  I imagine I'd want to make these files local to work on -- but the point I'm trying to make is most files will only rarely be accessed but need to be extremely safe, but I do want to have faster access when needed.  Also, archiving security recordings. And possibly hosting a small mysql server.

The remote system will be 99% just off site backup with file versioning.  However there may be times when I want to edit files at the remote location. But consider it 1 user at a time total.

For the local system, what should I consider: an SSD cache drive?  10gbE? 

For the remote system: extra drive space for versioning backup?  Extra parity drives?

How much does it cost you to run an offsite server?

You might want to consider a Cloud solution instead, especially if its main purpose is backup storage.

It is much easier to configure the Cloud than working on exposing an Unraid server SAFELY to the Internet for you to backup remotely (and assuming you have an ISP that is port-forwarding-friendly, which cannot be assumed)..

For the onsite server, it highly depends on what exactly you are doing.

For example, it's not that difficult to set up a 10GbE network and connect your NAS to your workstation as storage. However, it is still over-the-network access i.e. you will have to deal with network latency, which is not insignificant. This is particularly true with photo editing due to the relatively smaller file sizes.

It might be simpler and faster to just connect your storage directly to your workstation and set up your NAS as an onsite backup of your workstation.

I intend to do cloud based back up as well for some files.  But I want something I can have my hands on as needed.  Also, I also have an existing site to site VPN, so ISP's and forwarding should not be an issue.

Yes, I agree most of the time I should probably just move files being worked on local and then return them to the NAS when done.  But my real problem is that often I never 'finish' making adjustments so I never put them back on the NAS.  I might want to backup some local directories to Unraid as well as have some as a network backup drive.