HELP- PLEASE!! USB drive in array, now doesn't work internally

neruve

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I had WD 5tb drive connected via usb 3.0 that I moved files from and then did a pre-clear. Then without thinking about it I added it to my array ( I had intentions to put the drive internal to the server). So I stopped the array, pulled out the drive and then installed it into one of the hotswap bays on the server. The drive is recognized but it keeps telling me its the wrong disk even though it matches perfectly. (See screenshot) please tell me how i can fix this. (this is initial setup and I do not have a parity drive yet). I'm pretty new to unraid but so far i'm loving it (if i can fix this)

unraid_disk.PNG

Okay, so here is what i've done so far with array.

The 5tb drive (the one i'm currently having an issue with) was in an Easystore. I shucked it. 

I had an 8tb drive that I precleared and added to the array. once that was done. I put the 5tb drive in the server (it had movies on it i wanted to keep) so with unassigned devices I tried to copy them from that drive to the 8tb (that was the drive in the array). Unassigned devices would not let me mount the drive. So I took it out and then hooked it back to the usb adapter that was inside the easystore enclosure. This allowed unassigned devices to mount it. I moved the files from that onto the array (which only consisted of the 8tb drive) Once that was done I ran the pre-clear on the 5tb drive (while still connected via usb) then without thinking I added it to the array. (no data was written to the array after this) When I got home I realized it was still on usb. So I stopped the array, removed the drive from usb and put into the hotswap bay of the server. Now unraid won't start the array because its saying the disk not correct.

I'm wondering if the WD blue 5tb drive from the easystore has the 3.3 reset thing and needs to be taped?? I am not sure at this point what to do/try. I don't want to lose the data from the 8tb drive.

Edit: taping off the 3.3 pin didn't change anything at all :(

Edited by neruve

Okay, so new information. If i put the hard drive back on the usb adapter from the enclosure it recognizes the xfs filesystem and matches my array and everything will work as normal. So my next question is how to remove the usb drive from the array. (my array does not have parity yet) So i can then put it internal and clear/format/add back to the array?

Last one, sorry guys! I figured it all out. Figured I would post the solution here in case anyone else has the same issue.

I stopped the array, then went to Tools > New Config as suggested in first replay. This reset my array. Then I added the 8tb drive (the one with data on it) to the array along with my cache drive. 

Then I put the usb drive inside the hot swap bay on the server, the filesystem wasn't recognized, then i did a format to xfs and I was able to add it to my array just fine. 

So there was some sort of issue with the drive being plugged in via usb instead of mobo sata that unraid didn't like. Something must not match in the drive signatures or something. Which is a little odd as it seems unraid uses drive serial numbers and that didn't change.

1 hour ago, neruve said:

So there was some sort of issue with the drive being plugged in via usb instead of mobo sata that unraid didn't like. Something must not match in the drive signatures or something. Which is a little odd as it seems unraid uses drive serial numbers and that didn't change.

It is not just the serial number that must match.    The drive must also report itself as holding exactly the same number of bytes and the USB enclosure may have massaged that in some way.