Introduction & Sanity Check

BigIron

New to Unraid and would like a little Sanity Check/Help/Direction on approach. You can view my specs below, but I just wanted some advice/opinion on what I might be missing out on. Here on things I want to do:

1. Most important is Emby Server. I cannot seem to find a good guide to setting this up.
    1. I serve 2 ROKU TVs now, but this will likely change to 4 LAN ROKU TVs in the near future.
    2. I never could get outside the LAN to work, so I would like to do that.
    3. I think I need to run this through a VPN, but I don’t run any services or packages. I just play content I own stored on the drives.
    4. I also want to be able to access the Emby Server on portable devices such as iPhone, not opposed to purchasing Emby premiere or trying Jellyfin (if they Roku app is as good).
  2. I need to setup a VPN to control the server while off the LAN - @SpaceInvaderOne recommends PIA. Is it as good/better than Torguard?
  3. Setup Radaar/Sonaar – SpaceInvaderOne videos will cover this.
  4. Qbittorent or Deluge and VPN – I believe SpaceInvaderOne videos will cover this.
  5. I would like to add about 4 – 8 5MP-8MP CCTV cameras. I think Shinobi is recommended by SpaceInvaderOne. I know Blue Iris is the best, but it is resource heavy, and IPCamtalk is a little too hostile to ask questions especially involving VMs. Would this be too much bandwidth for this server?
  6. I would like to work with Home Assistant or some other recommended home automation software.
  7. I may give PFSense a go, but I may repurpose the old machine for that.
  8. Anything else I may be missing an opportunity on?

BTW-Everything in my home network is hardwired CAT6. WiFi only covers gadgets like thermostats, garage door, etc.

I just built a new Unraid server in our basement network closet and here are the specs:

Case: Rosewill L4500

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

MB: MSI X470

Ram: 32GB 3200 MHZ DDR4

GPU: GTX 710 2GB with FAN

SAS Controller: SAS9211-8I flashed to IT

USB: Sandisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0

Cache: 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD (connected to SATA)

4 x 8TB White Label WD HDD – (1-Parity, 3-Storage) Connected VIA SASController

NIC: Onboard for now, on order: HP NC364T 4 Port Intel NIC

PSU: Rosewill Glacier 700w

Switches: 1 Unmanaged 24 Port Switch, I also have multiple CISCO and BlackBox Managed POE 48 Port Switches.

I am moving files from an old windows machine that acted as a server. Its CPU was a i5-2400K with 5x 3TB drives (Mostly 7200 RPM Toshiba/Hitachi). It has served well over the 7-9 years. Its main functions have been serving 2 Roku TVs via Emby server, running KODI locally, qbittorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, and VPN through Torguard.  I plan on moving the old HDDs into the new machine. (I may need a SAS expander).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for responding.

1. I run Emby on Unraid.  Use to run it on Xpenology and had no end of performance issues.  Runs like a dream on Unraid.

Outside LAN access is straight forward, forward the right port from your router to the server and off you go.

2. VPN to access your LAN/Emby is a good idea.  Either Wireguard or Open VPN AS.  Easy to set up.  This is VPN IN and covers 1.3 and 1.4 of your post. Note: PIA for controlling server isn't what you need.  PIA is VPN OUT.

3. Yep, straight forward with a bit of patience.

4. I use Binhex Deluge VPN for Torrents.